letters from nora

Start from the beginning

           I fucking hate Mum. She's making a big deal out of everything and forcing me to stay within her sight at all times. I've somehow managed to get to Liam's house. Having a stepbrother suddenly became handy. But his house is littered with empty bottles of Pierre and empty milk cartons. I still wish you were here.

           The pain keeps getting worse and my Mum is driving me insane. I don't know if I can make it out alive. Your letters are the only thing keeping me going at this point. I'll write you again when I have more to say. I love you.

Love,

          Nora

December 19th, 2019

Dear Edmund,

           I've been admitted to the hospital for my stomach pain. They've determined that I might be pregnant! Imagine if we had kids, darling. We'd spoil them rotten. Anyway, Mum died in a car accident last week. The officers determined she'd been illegally driving drunk. So, I'm on my own.

          Despite this pain, I've never felt so free before. I'll list the hospital address down below so that you can come to visit whenever you can. I miss you and I love you.

Nora

January 21st, 2019

Dear Ed,

           Turns out I'm pregnant, but they don't know what's wrong with the pregnancy. Some kind of complication they just can't figure out. We're going to be parents, baby. I can't believe that I'm explaining this in a letter when you'll be here in a few hours. I'm stuck in this hospital for the time being, so our adventures will have to wait.

            How is your sister? I heard she was nominated for a Grammy in America just the other day. The newspaper even said she was going to give a performance here in London! I'd love to see her. Please tell her I said hello and that we're pregnant! Tell EVERYONE we're pregnant, baby. I want the world to know. You're going to be the greatest father ever.

All my love,

                       Nora

May 7th, 2020

Dear husband,

           It feels kind of like a dream referring to you as my husband. I never imagined that I'd be getting married in a hospital room wearing nothing but a cheap hospital gown that my ass hangs out of. The baby is coming soon! The doctors said everything should be just fine for its arrival! I've decided to wait to see the gender since this entire journey has already been full of surprises. 

          Susan dropped by and told me you'd be graduating early to help take care of the baby. I'm sure you were trying to keep that one a secret, weren't you? I can't believe we're about to start our new lives together! I can't wait to raise our child just the way my parents raised me before they divorced.

Love,

          Nora

May 22nd, 2020

Dear Ed,

           The complications are unending, per usual. I started bleeding out of my mouth this morning and they eventually fixed it in the early afternoon. I was furious when I discovered they hadn't alerted you of my injury. You're my husband for crying out loud! 

           Anyway, they said the baby might not make it through delivery and they encouraged me to have an abortion. I said no, obviously. I want us to create a family together, not destroy the beginning of one. I love you and hope to hear from you soon.

 Love, 

           Nora Pevensie :)

On this letter, Edmund had written "Nora, if only you knew". I furrowed my brow and then saw the next letter.

June 11th, 2020

Dear Mr. Edmund Pevensie,

           We regret to inform you that neither your wife, Nora, nor your baby girl, survived the delivery. We discovered ovarian cancer following your wife's sudden death. Cancer caused your wife her stomach pains and is the main reason she went into labor early and the baby did not survive.

          The hospital will be covering hospital payments and funeral costs if there are any at this time. Due to COVID-19 being such a large issue, we also believe your wife may have had that as well early in her pregnancy. We are sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,

                    Dr. Waxford

   I was sobbing at this point. I found a thread of old pictures and saw Nora's blonde hair and amber-colored eyes. She looked so happy in that picture, yet she was suffering in her letters. I turned around and noticed Edmund standing in the doorway.

"Edmund, I-I'm so sorry." I sobbed and ran to him, embracing him.

"You didn't know, baby." He whispered, his voice shaky.

"I would have never come into your life so swiftly-" I sobbed.

"(y/n), I needed you so badly then. I still  need you badly." He answered, "You saved me. And I've been meaning to wait and ask at the best time possible, but I can't wait any longer. (y/n), will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

"Yes, yes, yes, thousand times yes." I cried.

   So Edmund and I somehow found our happy ending despite all of the hiccups along the way. And to this day, I visit Nora and Anna Pevensie's grave every month with a bouquet of fresh red roses, which were Nora's favorite. And I assure her that I am taking good care of the man she loved so dearly. And I swear I can feel her smiling upon me each day.