Oneshot | Bandage Talk

Drabble number 1 | Bandage Talk

A quick kotlc Oneshot because that series is lacking in the romance department

Sure it's made for young middle schoolers but I was inspired to write something cute (?) with better fluff

I haven't read it in years but here we go

This doesn't really follow canon so anyone can read it with no prior understanding of this world. All you need to know is:

-Keefe is visiting Sophie  (in basically a nurse's office at their school)

-she has an arm injury

-and yes, they have "magical" powers

The original scene is in chapter 13 of the 7th book, but this doesn't really follow that timeline.

----

"Do I want to know why I found you staring at this like it holds the secrets of the universe?" He leaned forwards and grabbed the roll of bandage out of Sophie's lap. She watched as the bandage drew away from her, "It's called trying to improve my telekinesis." She stared at the knot she had made in the roll a few days ago.

If it could, it would shrivel from her glare.

It was currently dangling from Keefe's hand, like it was teasing her, saying look at me, I'm just a simple bandage.

She scoffed at it.

It was like the bandage was smug to sit looped around Keefe's finger. Ah, so it's chosen to side with the other tease, she thought.

She tore her eyes from the horridly frustrating object and up to Keefe's face, not surprised that his mouth had pulled into a playful grin. See, a total tease.

In reality, Keefe's teasing mode wasn't even switched on, it was really just Sophie getting butterflies from his carefree smile.

Keefe was under a lot of stress too, his history with the Neverseen weighing heavy on his shoulders... but the fact that he could still smile like that? It made her forget about her frustration, slow recovery, and the stress over an inevitable attack against them.

His smile soothed her.

Sophie paused, wait why's no one talking?

oh

OH

I must've been staring at his lips for too long

"Foster" his voice was soft. Sophie snapped her eyes away from his, now, sweet smile. She cleared her throat, struggling to think of something to say.

"Can I have my bandage back? I want to go cross-eyed from focus again." Aha, perfect Sophie, totally not awkward at all.

Instead of handing back the cursed bandage, he held it above his head, eyes gleaming with mischief. It is safe to say that his teasing mode had actually been switched on now. "If you want it, come and get it."

Pfft, Sophie thought before she lunged for it, ignoring the ache in her still recovering arm.

Keefe only laughed and held it higher, dodged her swatting hand, and danced just out of reach of Sophie's outstretched hand. "C'mon Sophie! The mysterious Ms. F must have more tricks up her sleeve!"

Sophie paused for a moment, then grinned.

Spurred by the memory of seeing the same move in a movie a few years ago, she waited for Keefe to still, before reaching up, not to his raised arm, but his collar instead.

She tightened her grip on the edge of the white fabric and yanked hard. This brought Keefe down towards her. She laughed in triumph as she reached up by her pillow to grab his hand, trapping it and the roll of gauze in both of her own.

She looked back at him, both her arms above her head, her brown eyes shocked like big round saucers as she realized the position they were in. Keefe was quite literally straddling her with one of his legs, the other firm on the floor next to the bed. Not to mention that their faces were so close she could see the tiny flecks of the lightest blue in his eyes.

oops

It registered in Sophie's head that one of them should move away so their situation didn't get any more awkward.

She slid her hands away from his and softly tapped on his chest, "Up" was all she said. Thankfully, at least in Sophie's opinion, Keefe understood and lifted himself into a sitting position.

Sitting up too, and dragging her legs out from under Keefe, Sophie couldn't help but shiver at the ghost of his warm breath fanning out against her cheeks.

"I must say, Foster," although his cheeks were still puffed in pink, he had a steady and ever teasing tone, "That was a very smart tactic." He tossed back the bandage roll. Sophie let out a chuckle and started fiddling with the returned cloth in her hands.

No words filled the air at that moment, just the energy radiating from the blond boy's gaze making Sophie internally squirm.

save yourself from even redder cheeks, c'mon Sophie, think think think

Her eyes drifted to the clock hanging on the left wall. 

8 minutes till next class

"Oh look at the time, class is starting, you should go Keefe..." She laughed again, a lot more awkwardly, and looked up at him a bit pleadingly.

"Want to see me gone so soon, I see how it is Foster" His awkwardness had evaporated and his lopsided grin had changed into an adoring smile. "See ya, Sophie." He leaned forward and kissed her forehead, soft and warm, and then leveled his eyes with her.

gASP

"Now you've looked at me like I can give you the universe, I'd say I've one-upped that bandage." He whispered like it was just meant for Sophie to hear. He slowly leaned back and slid off of the bed, fluffing his hair as he began to walk away.

Something in Sophie's heart sprung to life with a pink and yellow pitter-patter, taking over her thoughts, focusing her gaze on the long elegant hand reaching to turn the doorknob.

nevermind I don't want you to go

"Wait!" He froze mid-step and swiveled around, there's that grin again. Sophie was grinning now too, "C'mere". 

Keefe eagerly complied, practically running back to her side. 

~

Let's just say that Elwin, the school healer, didn't interrupt them

even when Keefe completely missed his next class

He didn't interrupt them because he hadn't heard them that happy in months, if kissing and giggles did that then he didn't mind leaving them alone.

---

Not spicy but it was cute, right?

Remember drabbles are mostly quick writings that are sort of unedited, I have more to post but I thought this would be a nice and light starting point?? I tend to actually get pretty detailed and heavy at times with my writing but I didn't want to scare people off... this one just happened to be the first one I posted

N e ways stay safe <3 have hope for tomorrow <3 and enjoy this gif that somehow inspired this: