20.A Cat and Mouse

Y/n POV:

It has been a month sense me and Beetlejuice has begun dating. Its nice having someone with me. School has begun preparing us for our final exams, speaking of school things felt odd. JD had become more attached frequently asking to come over or walk me home. I of course repeatedly denied the request as I knew Beetlejuice might be jealous. Frowning I looked down at my hands making note of the scratched skin from JD firmly holding my hand.

"Of course I'm sure he's just worried Beetlejuice is occupying all my time." I chuckled softly. Running my hands through my hair I walked back towards the school huffing at the thought of finals. Grimacing I looked ahead to see Lydia and Wednesday huddled together joking around while further off to the side JD and Heather. Walking up to them I smiled and gave my usual greeting. I fully knew that Lydia was preoccupied with the girl that accompanied her. JD huffed out a puff of cigarette smoke in a husky voice he responded,

"Hey Y/n." A curt response but a response nonetheless. Looking above JD's head I saw Heather mimicking something about drinking then falling. Just another insult I assume. Rolling my eyes I just ignored her.

"You ready for finals?" I mused as I sat on the concrete stairs kicking at a dandelion weed in the concrete cracks. Looking up as I heard him inhale some smoke he let out a sound that was a cross between a chuckle and growl.

"Nah, I got plans tonight."

"Oh so Mr.lone wolf suddenly is busy? Sounds sketchy to me." Heather snickered at her own insult. She's right it seems odd. Maybe he's making more friends? I shook off my worries and simply hummed in acknowledgment. Hearing the bell ring I stood up and navigated my way through the waves of people. Arriving to my class I sat down ready for the long lesson. Miraculously I had managed to survive till lunch, having collapsed as soon as I sat down. Working away at my lunch I watched as JD sat down. He looked my easy and grimaced his lips curling into a disgusted snarl,

"You smell like death. Literally." I cut my eyes slightly annoyed.

"And you smell like a frat house bathroom after someone's had one drink too many." I spat half heartedly. He chuckled and a toothy grin reminiscent of the Cheshire Cat.

"You're cute when you're mad ya know that?" My eyes widened as I chuckled uncomfortably. My hands gripped the cafeteria table to stop them from visibly trembling.

"How sweet. However I'm afraid you can't talk to me like that anymore. I'm taken."

"That's why you smell like him huh?"  He said in a murmur, his hand reaching out to mine. "He's no good for you." I grunted vaguely irritated.

"You don't know that JD." My brow furrowed. 'What am I your mom?' I thought bitterly to myself.

"I do and I'll prove it to you soon enough." He barked his jagged nails breaking skin causing beads of scarlet to form. As the lunch bell rang I bolted dreading my final class. When the time came I walked into the room the dank fog of dread looming over my mind. 'What's the worst he's can do?' I thought biting my lip in anticipation. Sitting in my chair I waited for the lecture. Closing my eyes I hoped that if I didn't move JD wouldn't see me. Much to my dismay he sat right next to me and Lydia smug and confident. The rest of the class was tense throughout the lecture. Neither JD or I spoke the only voice that registered in my mind was Lydia's. After a long long hour the bell released time from my horrific trance, as I got to my feet I heard a whisper. "Meet me at our spot at 10 and be ready to see the cold hard truth (L/N)." I swallowed nodding in agreement and spoke up.

"Be ready to bite your tongue." And with that we headed off our different ways to home. Walking through the hallway my heart raced to the rhythm of all the students footsteps, rushed and irregular. Pushing through the schools entry way I got on my bike and peddled off to home. My heart soon eased back down to its regular pace as I put my bike away and went inside. Seeing my father cooking I smiled. "Hi dad." He simply replied,

"Hey kiddo."Walking up stairs I was greeted by an all to excited Beetlejuice.

"Babes, toots! Where were ya?!" I laughed at the ghost before me.

"School as always." I smiled looking up at him as I threw my bag down by my desk.

"Glad you're back anyway I have the biggest bo-." I stopped him there flustered all be it.

"I-I think I get the picture Beej." He grinned his jagged teeth protruding from out behind his pale lips and scruff.

"Glad to know hot stuff." I groaned at his insistent flirting but I liked it nonetheless. Walking over to my bed I collapsed to take a small nap before dinner...