Chapter 31: Let's Talk Love

*Important note in the end please read when done :)*

As the gates opened, you could see and hear everyone look at you guys with disappointment and disgust. You hopped off your horse and continued to walk on foot next to her, as people shouted things at you all. You patted her side, "you did good today Sweety." You whispered to her, now scared to look in the faces of those who have lost their family today.

"Captain Levi! Sir." Your heart broke as you heard Petra's father running to him, "Oh, and Captain (Y/n)! I don't know if you remember me but I'm Petra's father."

Your heart broke even more when you looked at Levi's face. It was taking him everything to not break in front of her father. "I just wanted to thank you guys for looking after my daughter, I don't want her to see me so I'll make this quick. You see she sends me letters from time to time, and (Y/n), she said you recognized her skill and had Levi scout her, she said she would devote her all to protect you both, but you see, she also mentioned another man... And anyways, what I' m trying to say is the girl is so starry-eyed that she has no idea how worried we are for her, and you know being a father and all... I think it's a bit too early for her to marry anyone, do you two mind keeping an eye on her and make sure she doesn't make any rash decisions that'll give her poor old man a heart attack-"

He was cut off as others pushed him out of the way and shouted "Commander Erwin!" and neither Levi or you turned back, not wanting to break the news to her father yet. "Please answer us!" They continued to shout at him. "Were the gains of the expedition worth the amount of lives lost!"

You closed your eyes and took a deep breath...

No... the gains of this expedition was not worth it, you guys were defeated, the enemy outsmarted you and you didn't even find out who was in that Female Titan. You felt a hand grab yours, and you squeezed it tight knowing it was Levi's.

*Later that Night*

After getting your brother to the infirmary you spent the whole day just walking around, thinking back about the good times you had with your old squad. You still couldn't quite process that they were all gone, you just lost four more people you cared about. People you called family for years.

You never could get used to this feeling, as much as you loved killing titans, it was the aftermath of losing so many of your comrades, whether  you were close with them or not, you still felt remorse seeing every single one of their bodies lined up.

Levi went straight to the infirmary with the others to get his leg checked. It's always the same after either one of you lose someone close to you, you guys just give each other space.

Looking up at the sky, you notice it was a moonless night.

Perfect... You rushed to grab your gear and you ran to the wall. Shooting your hook up and jumping up the wall, you were surprised to see someone already sitting on the edge of the wall.

"Didn't think I'd see you up here." You said, taking your place next to her.

"Sorry, it just looked so peaceful and the only place I thought I could be truly alone." Mikasa said, looking down.

"Well, no need to apologize for wanting to be alone, I'll leave you to your thoughts," you stood back up, but you knelt back down, "but if you wanted peace, maybe look up." You put a finger to her chin and tilted her head so she would look up.

You started to walk away, you were just going to walk further down the wall from her so you could have some peace as well.

"Wait." You paused and turned back to Mikasa. "How did you know you were in love?"