Chapter 8: Flashback PT.3

It was the second day of training, you all first practiced balancing using ODM gear, of course you, Simon and Athen did it with ease, and passed the test right away. For the rest of the session you three just sat and watched as everyone else struggled balancing.

"Y/n!" You turned to the voice calling you. You stood there as Erwin approached you all. You went to stand but he stuck his hand out, stopping you. "No need, I heard Levi spoke to you yesterday."

"Yes, sir."

"I must admit I was a little disappointed when I heard you rejected our request to join the survey corps." Both Simon and Athen's heads snapped to you.

"What?!" Athen practically spat at you.

"Yes, I'm sorry sir, I just don't feel prepared yet." He took a step closer to you.

"Hm, I wish that were true (y/n)." He now leaned closer to your ear. "Remember, we're fighting for humanity and if you want to help keep this world safe, including your brother, having someone like you in the corps would definitely speed up our process to save the world." He whispered.

You gulped and moved back a little. "Could I have some time to think a little longer?"

"2 days max." He then walked away from you.

You looked up to see Levi following after him, but he kept his eyes on you. You frowned at him annoyed that he told Erwin all the details. He honestly could have just said you refused, no need to go in details... well... to be fair Erwin most likely asked why I refused. BUT STILL!

"Are you stupid y/n? Why didn't you join?" Simon said, kind of whispering not to bother everyone else.

"I mean it, I don't think I'm ready." You said, not entirely a lie.

"Bullshit!" Athen yelled, now heads turned to all of you.

"Athen..." you tried to calm him down but he now stood and grabbed your shoulders.

"You didn't join because of me!"

"No, I-"

"I DON'T NEED YOU FOLLOWING ME AROUND EVERYWHERE AND TAKING CARE OF ME!" He started shaking you roughly and Simon tried to stop him. "I'M OLDER THAN YOU! YOU SHOULDN'T BE TAKING CARE OR ME!" He now pulled you up from where you sat, you didn't do anything to stop him. "I SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF YOU! I DON'T WANT YOU TAKING CARE OF ME! JUST FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE FUCK OFF FROM MY LIFE!" Your heart sank as he yelled those words to you, you felt tears begin to form... you thought you were doing what was best for him, for both of you.

"Athen stop!" Simon went to grab you but you put your hand up ordering him to stay put.

"Do you mean it?" You said softly, still looking down.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"Do you really want me to fuck off from your life?" Your head still hung low.

"Yes!" You felt a tug as your brother was ripped off of you and thrown to the floor by Levi. As he was held down you didn't do anything to stop or help him. As he groaned in pain, his eyes now looking up at you in pain... you didn't... want to help him. Instead you turned away and headed for your room.

*The next day*

You haven't seen your brother all morning, Simon tried talking to you to cheer you up and he managed to get a few smiles out of you. Even Ava and Ekho tried distracting you by asking for tips on how to use ODM gear, but all you could think about is how Athen yelled at you and how he said he didn't need you.

You all head out for basic combat training again, you went through two trainers no problem and watched as Simon toned down on his recklessness a bit and moved smarter. You heard everyone gasp and whisper towards someone and you looked up to the sound of dragging footsteps.