Chapter 4

Cash

Cash had been constantly pacing the floor ever since the Chamberlain brothers denied the offer of joining his pack. Didn't they know he wasn't asking for the hell of it, but telling them? If they only knew what happened to the others who once tried to deny him. But then again he thought to himself, if they did know it wouldn't be taking them as long. The brothers were just delaying the inevitable. They would join. Cash had been deciding all day whether to go over to that disgrace of a packs house and tell them exactly what he would do to them if they went against him, against his pack, but with taking a deep breath he thought better of it. He had to think this through rationally when it came to the brothers. He knew the Chamberlain's were the type to disobey if he kept pressuring or demanding the matter. And that's when Cash had an idea. If he continued to let the brothers think they had a choice it would give him the upper hand. All he had to do was let the brothers think they were in control when in reality they were one step behind. 

That however didn't go over too well when he tried explaining it to Silas, his beta and best friend since diapers. Silas thought Cash had officially lost his mind. His best friend couldn't understand why Cash didn't just take what he wanted. He was Alpha. He had power. And as much as Cash trusted Silas he didn't want to tell him the reasoning behind his actions. If the Chamberlains didn't join, then Cash was in for a challenge of positioning. It was stated centuries ago in an agreement with the ancestors that only one Alpha and his pack would live in a district, so a power surge would never happen. A power surge was the the slaughtering of packs until one person alone could consume all their power and be held the reigning Alpha. 

Cash knew there would be blood shed if it came down to it and he didn't want it to ever go that far. He didn't want to take the risk of losing anymore werewolves. They were becoming less and less everyday.

If the Chamberlain's did decide to challenge Cash and lose, it would mean their lives. By going against an Alpha they would be made an example of and with the killing of them was a message for all. If any other pack or wolf wanted to challenge their Alpha this would be their outcome, their ending.

Just as Cash stopped pacing the door to his office flew open. There in the doorway was a breathless Silas. Cash didn't even have a chance to yell at him about barging into his workplace before his best friend held up his hand for a second to catch his breath.

" You're never going to believe what we found in the woods. You're going to want to see this for yourself."

Cash could have argued about not having time, but he would be lying if he said he wasn't intrigued. He complied and followed Silas into the east wing of the house which held their makeshift hospital room.

"This better be good" he spoke as if he was truly bored.

Silas looked over his shoulder as he was about to open the door. " Oh, trust me, it is." He smirked trying not to laugh. Cash honestly had no idea what to expect as he walked into the room after his friend, but he could most definitely say he never thought it would be that. 

There laid upon the bed was a girl, unconscious and naked. The thin sheet being the only material covering her. He couldn't deny she was beautiful, especially the way her strawberry blonde hair fanned out over the white pillow and the peaceful look she had on her face. 

Cash didn't even know where to begin, what to even ask, so he turned to Silas who was looking over his shoulder at the girl. Cash raised his eyebrow as if asking "What the hell is this?" Silas smiled for the longest time before replying, " Have I told you how much I love my job?" Cash couldn't help letting a laugh slip out before drilling his best friend. " Silas. Details would be nice."