a farewell to kings

Start from the beginning

It feels as though they're going one step forward, two steps backwards. While they have an ID on the two men, the medic's shot just minutes after he enters. Just after the gunshots ring through the medic's earpiece, Strauss enters the room. "The Director's ordered a full tactical assault."

Hotch's gaze could kill. "When the crossfire starts, that's going to happen to the hostages caught in the middle?"

"That's the wrong call, Erin, and you know it." Juliette says, her hands clenched into fists.

"It's not my call."

Juliette's eyebrows furrow. "You're here, and you're in charge."

"You want me to disobey the Director?"

"No, I just want you to buy us a little time. Don't be so efficient."

Strauss studies Juliette before nodding. "Whatever you're going to do, do it fast."

The team overcomes their surprise quickly, instead working on a new negotiation tactic. Through intel Emily received from Interpol, as well as Garcia's sleuthing, they're able to find that the woman texted 911 thirty seconds before they robbed the bank, and someone else is watching the bank robbery remotely.

They use this information to attempt to tear the man and woman against each other, but it backfires. "Enough, I'm done talking to you. I want to talk to the cop who shot my brother."

"No, no, forget it." JJ immediately says, panic clear in her voice.

"JJ, if it means we can end this-" Will starts, but she cuts him off.

"What makes you think he won't shoot you the second you walk inside?"

"I know you'd do it if you were me."

JJ can't disagree, but Hotch cuts in. "Sorry Will, it's not an option."

The male UnSub, who they've identified as Chris Stratton, speaks into the phone again. "Where's that cop, huh? I ain't got all day."

"What you're asking isn't easy." Juliette says into the phone.

"Well, I'll make it easy. Send in the cop, I'll let a few hostages go." Chris says. "A sign of good faith, isn't that what you said."

Juliette takes a deep breath, glancing to JJ's shaking head. "Releasing the hostages is a great first step in resolving this conflict, but we can't send someone else in to be killed."

"This ain't a fuckin' debate." He groans, dropping the phone as they watch him on the security cameras. Chris picks out a man from their human barricade, forcing him to pick up the phone. "Tell her your name."

"It's... It's Shawn Harper."

As soon as Shawn's finished speaking, Chris raises his gun and shoots him point-blank in the head. "You just killed Shawn Harper. Not me, you. I'm gonna shoot another hostage every sixty seconds until you send in the cop."

"Screw this, I'm going in." Will says, stepping away from the group.

Before anyone can move, Will's past the barricades and jogging towards the doors of the bank, with Morgan and Emily holding JJ back. Juliette's frozen in place, listening to JJ's broken cries to her partner. But she shakes herself out of it, turning towards the security camera feed just in time to see Chris shoot Will.

This time, JJ's screams break her heart to pieces. She can feel the agony in her voice, the hopelessness that she had once felt. She tears her eyes away from the camera when Rossi places a hand on her shoulder, looking up to the rest of the team. "We need to get inside." JJ says, determination lining her voice.