Prologue

Morzan looked down at his plate and then over to his brother. He saw a smile flash across the face of his sibling as he raised his cup toward Morzan. "Cheers brother, for tonight we dine in peace. We no longer have to worry about war, for war is now a mere dream. A distant light that has been vanquished by our treaty of peace," Alazan proclaimed full of joy.

"Yes, it has been long overdue, but finally we have done it, we have brought peace to all of The Five Kingdoms," Morzan responded clinking his cup against his brothers.

Morzan hit his brothers cup a little to hard and sent a few drops of red wine splashing onto the wooden table. They laughed at this and raised their glasses to their mouths. Morzan felt the cool, sweet liquid poor down his throat and fill stomach. The celebration was quite joyful but this joy would not last. For neither Morzan nor Alazan knew that those few drops of wine were not the only thing to be be spilled that night.

The celebration went on long into the night as the whole kingdom rejoiced and danced to the songs of freedom. People drank, maybe a little to much, and no guards were keeping watch. After all the kingdoms had peace there was no need for guards.

Morzan walked out to the ledge of the balcony and let his eyes take in the beauty of the kingdom. Alazan walked in just as Morzan took a deep breathe of air through his nose. "Umm what are you doing," Alazan questioned cautiously.

Morzan held in the breath of air as he looked out at the dancing kingdom. He saw singing and dancing, he saw children running and playing games. He saw freedom, and he saw happiness. "Oh Alazan, I am merely breathing in the fresh freedom that is surrounding this wonderful kingdom."

"Yes this kingdom can once again not have worry about the sorrows of war, you have done well my brother." Alazan responded staying in the doorway.

"It was not me Alazan, it was all of the five kingdoms," Morzan replied humbly.

"Brother what you say and what is true are very opposite. It was in fact..." Alazan's sentence stopped short.

Still gazing out at the kingdom Morzan asked "Why do you stop your sentence brother, have you lost your tongue." Morzan laughs, slowly turning around. But his laughter quickly stops short as he stares at the blood coated dagger protruding from Alazan's chest. Blood oozed from the injury and down Alazan's robes as drops slowly speckled off the daggers silver blade, clashing with the stone tiles. Alazan's face bore a look of shock and pain.

The man standing behind him pulled the dagger back towards himself. Morzan stood in shock as Alazan slumped foreword onto the cold stones. Where Alazan once stood, was now replaced by another figure. Morzan looked into the figure's eyes, "Why?" He shouted, "Why would you murder your own brother."

"It is a simple answer," Kazan answered calmly. "He was in my way so I plunged my dagger through his heart." Kazan's eyes were filled with hatred as he stood there speaking to Morzan. Morzan was scared for he knew what Kazan was capable of and without a blade to defend himself, he was as good as dead.

"Did you feel no guilt, no shame, whilst you plunged the dagger into his flesh." Morzan yelled looking at Alazan's dead corpse lying on the stone. Morzan could feel pools in his eyes and warm tears running down his cheeks.

"Honestly, No" Kazan laughed spinning the dagger around on his finger. "He was faceless, meaningless, therefore he didn't matter." Kazan kicked the corpse of his dead brother out of the path to Morzan. "And neither do you," Kazan yelled, dashing foreword and stabbing Morzan in the chest.

Morzan gasped as Kazan stabbed the blade through his chest. His chest exploded with fire as the blade went deeper into his body. He wanted to cry out but he couldn't show any weakness to Kazan, so he decided to hum a song. He started to hum a rhythm that their mother used to put them to bed with when they were children.

"Shut up," Kazan roared, and grabbed Morzan by the throat. Morzan stumbled backward as Kazan pushed him closer to the edge of the balcony. "That song will be the last thing that comes out of your mouth," Kazan hissed, throwing Morzan over the edge.

Morzan looked up at his brother's face as the wind hissed through his ears. He saw the greed and anger of an evil lord in his brothers eyes. Morzan watched as Kazan turned away and walked away from the ledge without so much as shedding a tear. Morzan closed his eyes as the wind whipped through his clothes and his hair. The knife wound throbbed but Morzan didn't really care. He closed his eyes to find peace, but soon all he found was the ground beneath him.