Mad or Maid?

"Manik! We have been searching the house for two hours. There's no one! I think we should wait for a few hours and talk to the neighbors!", Abhi said as Manik looked at some files.

"There's someone, Abhi! I heard a voice, and you know I'm never wrong!"

"Bu--", he was cut off by another officer.

"Sir! We found a maid in the basement! She was trying to hide herself when we found her!"

With a smirk, Manik looked at Abhi who was surprised.

"Drag her here, officer! No one can save Vijay Dubey now!", Manik said as he lit a cigarette.

"Why do I feel like you're going to give her special treatment?", Abhi asked sceptically.

"Oh, Abhi! You know I don't treat anyone unless they're too innocent!", Manik replied taking a big puff.

"Manik! I know what's cooking in your head!"

"For now! Let's see what that maid can cook! You know, food or stories!", He chuckled on his words.

The officer brought her. Both looked at her then at each other.

She was wearing an old frock, shredded at the ends. Her messy hair and scared smile told them she's a poor maid of the house.

Manik pointed towards the chair. She looked at him then at his hands and chair but couldn't understand what he was trying to say.

"Baitho!", He ordered her, and she smiled as she could understand what he wanted her to do.

Nandini was about to sit on the floor when Abhi said softly, "Chair par!"

She looked at him to explain and following his gaze she sat on the chair.

Manik stood and said throwing the cigarette, "Tumhre pass 1 option h bas! Sach batana! Sach bolo n u r free to go! Varna tum toh kya tumhre kandan ko nhi chorunga main!"

Nandini looked at him and scratched her head as he said too many words for her to understand.

Manik looked at her and said, "Vikas Dubey kha hai? Kha gya? Uski family kaha hai?"

He was messing her mind with his loud voice and too many words. She made a bad face and looked at the other side.

Abhi chuckled looking at her cute face as nobody ever did this when Manik is in charge.

"Pucha kuch mainey!!", Manik shouted, and she pushed him away.

"Na... nan.. dhii... dhhiiii... rr..ee..yyy..!", She said and pushed him again he tried to hold her.

"Tumhri itni himaat! You dared to push me!", Manik again shouted and caught her hair, "Ab yeh natak band karo aur batao kha h vikas dubey?"

"Manik! Don't be so hard on her! She seems different!", Abhi said.

"You know Abhi! This is not the first time we are dealing with such criminals! They try to act innocent, mentally unstable, they stammer just to fool us!", Manik replied and caught her hair more tightly.

She cried in pain and said, "Nann... nann... duu.. dukk!!"

"Vikas.. Dubey... Shivani. Dubey. Alia. Dubey. Harshad. Dubey.. kha hai!", He asked, stressing each name.

"A.aa.alia...!",. Nandini cried making him smile as he knows she'll answer everything now. He left her and asked again, "Alia! Kha hai?"

"Udd... gyee...! Aa..alia... ha.. harshad..! Pehly... maa.. papa.. fir...!! Udd.. gye!", Nandini replied as she cried holding her hair.

"Maa. Papa!", Manik and Abhi whispered in shock.

"Tum.. tum.. maa. Papa.? Alia. Behan hai tumhri?", Manik asked in shock.

Nodding Nandini replied, "Aaa...al..alia... haa.. haa.. harshad... maa.. papa.. nan..nann..!!"

"Damn!! Manik! I think we should wait for a few hours and ask the neighbours!", Abhi suggested.

"How's that Vikas hid her from everywhere? Is she lying or there's something which is missing?", Manik asked Abhi.

They looked at each other, then at Nandini.

***

After a few hours.

The neighbours were called and officers had been investigating since then. It was morning so Nandini was in the kitchen making food.

Looking at her, Abhi said, "You think she's mad?"

Manik, whose eyes were following her every step, replied, "Or she's a maid! What did the neighbours say?"

"They are not sure of her. Some of them said that she's their eldest child. Some said that she's their maid from ages. But they are not sure if she's mentally unfit or not!"

"Abhi! Look at her! Is it possible for a mad girl to do things so effortlessly? I think she's lying."

Their eyes followed her who was effortlessly doing all the chorus. No one could imagine what she's suffering.

"I agree with you. I think she was acting to save her ass because if she's their daughter then why wouldn't they take her!"

"Did you find something in her basement?", Manik asked averting her gaze from her.

"Nothing that can help. Here's the bag of whatever we found in the basement. Have a look of it till then I'll try to dig more from the neighbours.", handing the bag to Manik, Abhi left.

Manik looked at her and then the small bag of her things, "Let's see how would you react to this!"

----

HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!

THANKS FOR ALL THE LOVE AND SUPPORT.

I KNOW IT'S TOO SHORT BUT THAT'S ALL I CAN MANAGE. 

I'LL TRY TO WRITE AS MUCH AS I CAN AND FINISH ALL MY STORIES ASAP.

THANK YOU.