Heartbreak

I sat on the chair on the crow's nest, looking down at Jack's compass.

Jack hadn't come back up to sleep with me, like we always did. Last time I'd seen him, he was talking to the captain.

I looked at the compass in my hand. I couldn't stop thinking about how it changed its position to point at Jack, and the way he left. Thinking about the heartbroken look on his face hurt me badly, and I hoped I could make it up to him.

Then, I decided to test something.

I stood up, and opened the compass. Immediately, it pointed behind me. I turned around, and looked down, spotting Jack talking to the captain, and both of them seemed upset at what they were talking about.

It was this moment where I finally realized: I loved him. I loved him more than I even loved my sister. I finally understood why I never separated from him, and why I felt so empty when I did.

But why hadn't it pointed at Jack at first?

I didn't know. But it was pointing at him now, and I finally understood how I felt about him. I knew that when he'd come up to the crow's nest, I was going to tell him how I felt.

I sat back down on the chair, set up the blanket, and closed my eyes, smiling as I thought about his (E/C) eyes.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't happen.

The next morning, I woke up to find myself on the chair alone. I frowned as I realized Jack probably hadn't slept with me. But my frown turned into a smile, since I knew how I could make him happier.

I climbed down the crow's nest, and walked over to Barbossa.

"Hey," I said. "Where's Jack?"

"Heartbroken," Barbossa said. "He's been upset the whole day."

I sighed. "Yeah. I know."

"Go talk to him," he said. "Ye be the only one who could cheer him up. He's at the front of the ship."

I smiled, and nodded. "Thanks, Barbossa."

I walked over to Jack, who was standing at the front of the boat, looking out at the ocean.

"Hi," I said.

He looked at me, and quickly looked back ahead of him. I needed a way to start a conversation. I looked up at the sky.

"If you've taught me right, we're heading towards... Vale?" I said.

"If that's what you think, I haven't taught you well at all," he said.

I sighed, and walked up next to him.

"Hey," I said, "I have something very important I need to tell you."

"Mm," was his only response.

I sighed, and started to talk. "So... it's funny, I've been waiting to tell somebody this kind of thing... part of the reason I dress like this..."

He didn't seem to listen to what I was saying. Either that, or he didn't care.

"Anyway," I continued. "I just wanted to say... you're very important to me... when I met you, you saved my life... and you've continued saving my life multiple times... and... last night... I finally realized something... I..."

Then, I stopped. I could see something in the distance. Buildings.

"What is that?" I said.

"Take a look," Jack said, handing me a handheld telescope.