The Road Ahead

(William POV)

I was expecting fire and brimstone landscapes, not calm and peaceful plains. That's not even the weirdest part of this world...yet. When we left the city in what seemed like a caravan with giant birds pulling them, I swear this world is straight out of one of them dime novels back on earth. But the strange thing is that after we left the kingdom, something just appeared in front of me, scared the hell out of me. The princess seemed to be surprised at my reaction, I may seem like someone who wouldn't startle easily, but that doesn't mean I don't scare at all. She asked what was wrong. I told her that something appeared in my vision she asked what it was.

[NOTICE!]

[Due to species new weapon unlocked]

When did I tell her that it was a notice? I don't even know what that means. But she told me it was part of the heroes status magic, something only available to the legendary heroes. She told me I should see something in the bottom right of my vision.

When I looked, there was a circle with three dots; she told me to focus on that. When I focused on something else popped in front of me, this time a bunch of numbers and letters like HP? What does half of this stuff even mean? I asked the princess for the information; she didn't have any idea either we were both in the dark on what this was. We agreed to ask one of the other heroes when we find one.

After that, she wanted to see what I had gotten as another weapon already. Did she say to look for something that said skill-tree? I found after looking through a few things I found another gun called [Repentance]. It said when defeating undead and unholy, enemies gain increase stats per enemy defeated, what I would have given to have this back in purgatory. When I switched to Repentance, it looked like a long-barreled colt buntline special, with runes etched onto the barrel, with an orange and yellow glow at the end. When we were done with that, she asked me what my level said.  I looked to the biggest number that seemed to be what she was talking wonder how a one is on the level?

(Time-skip)

We've been working our way to Melromarc, stopping in towns for supplies now and then. But while the guards were doing that, I saw what there was out here and preparing for the worst. While I was walking around the town's outskirts in the forest, I stumbled across an insect nest of some kind. When I went to head back to the town, I heard a bunch of buzzing (?) behind me. I went to look and what I saw made me hesitate, a swarm of giant wasp. I could handle them, but it's gonna be hard when there are many of them. Five of them flew at me. I dodged the first few, but one got me in the shoulder. It stung badly for a bit, but I managed to get it off after I shot it. After dodging a few more attempts of them stinging me, I fanned the hammer to lessen the numbers and warding them off a bit. I went to reload, but I saw it acted as if I never fired when I checked the chamber. I REALLY could have used this back in purgatory. Once I got my head back in the fight, I decided to fan the hammer till my hand needed to rest. What I saw surprised me I was able to take out half the swarm. Six more tried to stab me with their stingers, I dived out of the way and shot them, four-hit, and two missed. The two that I missed started circling me, I knew what they were doing, but I should be able to dodge both of them if there dumb enough. They surprised me this time one after the other charged me, and they started grazing me, wearing me down. I've had enough, so I took aim and fired on to the first, hitting its wing taking it down. When I went for the second one, it got me in my other shoulder; thankfully, it was in the perfect spot for me to kill it. I still have half the hive to deal with, and I was barely able to stand. Then suddenly, all the wasp that was left fell to the ground. I was able to get a closer look and what I saw surprised me; knives, one in every head. I look to see who they came from; I saw the person that threw them. I saw a woman wearing something close to what someone from my world would have worn, a white poncho and boots, with a blue dress shirt underneath with an emerald broach on the collar.

???: What kind of monster is that?

William: Let me stop you there. I ain't a monster, just a dead man walking.

???: YOU CAN TALK!!

William: Yes, I can tal-.

(??? POV)

For some reason, the skeleton stopped talking. What he did next scared me; he pointed some weapon at me. I might be fast, but if that thing is faster, I'll die as soon as my back is turned.

???: What are you doing?

Skeleton: Don't move, move when I say now.

I didn't know what this thing wanted me to do, so I just nodded my head.

Skeleton: MOVE!!

As soon as he said that, I jumped to the right of him, then I heard a loud boom that sounded like the ones from earlier. When I looked at what he fired on, I saw one of the bugs he was fighting earlier. It was right behind where I was standing. Why would a skeleton help me?

Skeleton: Miss, are you alright.

???: Yes, but can I ask why you helped me back there.

Skeleton: As an old saying goes, the only thing evil requires to succeed is for good men to do nothing. The funny thing is that it's still true even in death. So what are you doing out here, miss?

Meryl: Oh, I'm Meryl. I'm out here to clear out a hive of monsters that I think you just helped me with now; how will I explain this, though.

Skeleton: You going back town?

Meryl: Yes, they were the ones who hired me.

Skeleton: Then let's go. I have to go back anyway so I can explain things to your boss; the living proof is better than no proof.

Meryl: Wait, aren't you worried about the guards!

Skeleton: I came with the princess of melromarc, so they know I'm safe.

Meryl: WAIT, WHAT!!!

Skeleton: What?

Meryl: Your traveling with the princess of melromarc! Just who are you?

William: That's easy. I'm William Mason, the hero of purgatory and plainwalker.