Chapter 1

I groaned at the repeating sound of my alarm, looking for my phone in a tired haze, fumbling to turn it off. Drowsily I went to take a quick shower, ignoring the scruff on my chin. I ambled over to my kitchen, making breakfast and getting dressed. Glancing at my watch. Time for The Boss.

      I picked up my backpack, walking out into the busy streets of San Francisco. Doing my best to ignore the colorful and noisy hit it was to the senses. Once reaching the store, quietly starting to set up the shop, once having cleaned up flipping the sign on the door to 'open.'

      Was The Boss really going to sleep in again? I glanced at my watch with a raised brow, leaning on the counter as I waited. Looking at the list of duties for today. Should unpack that shipment from yesterday. Calmly I turned to go and get it.

      And after I had set it up I put my hair up in a bun, greeting a customer and showing them around.

      I looked up at the tired "good morninggg." of The Boss, who came over to me with a drowsy smile, hugging me, resting his head on my chest lightly.

      "Good morning, did you sleep well?" I asked, making sure the tea he was carrying did not spill.

      "Mhhh . . . As well as I could, I don't like the new route the train goes on..." he sighed in annoyance, moving the teacup in a way that concerned me.

      "Ah, I'm sure you'll get used to it." I took his wrist gently to stop the dangerous movements.

      "I haven't yet, so the chances of me doing so are very very slim-" he broke off, looking at my hand in surprise, then looking at me with a delighted expression.

      "Get earplugs." I shrugged, letting go of his wrist and leaning against the counter.

      "I have them!" He beamed, "and ear muffs, nothing works, it's too aggressive."

      "Aggressive?" I raised a brow, cocking my head to the side.

      "Terribly so..."

      "Anything I can help with?" That was a risky question. . . 

      "Mmmm... Ah! Well-" Oh no. . . I risked it. . . "I was wondering, since you live closer to all things handyyy, if one of these days you could pick me up some pillows! It'd help me sleep much better probably." He exclaimed, nearly spilling his tea with his hand gestures.

      "I can do that. What kind?" I tensed lightly, keeping my eyes on the tea wearily.

      "The king sized ones! And thank you so much, that really is a help- oh and when did you get in? I didn't hear you..."

      "I got here at 7:30." King sized. I should write it down.

      "Er- why so early? I mean I adore it and it's helpful! Just ... a lot of work."

      "No, it's just work." I chuckled calmly.

      "Aww... well I'm sorry if my waking up later makes it harder?"

      No, but those tea movements do. "Not at all. Don't worry." I gave him a placid smile.

      He bobbed his head with a bright smile, sashaying over to his library,  looking over the books with a critical eye.

     Even for someone who slacked off, he did have a good eye for merchandise. I returned to watching for clients, entertaining them when they came and organizing new trinkets in the places of the ones sold off. The Boss must have thought he was subtle with his small glances in my direction. . .

      Once the clock hit 2:00pm I was starting to get hungry, getting up. "I'm going out for my lunch break." I looked over at The Boss, untying my hair.

      "Hm-? Oh sure thing! Have you not eaten at all?" He bit his lower lip lightly in concern, glancing at my stomach slightly.

      "I ate breakfast." I picked up my bag, walking to the door. "I'll see you after the break. Eat something yourself."

     "Yes, sure of course, but should I start having food out normally for you? Waiting till this late to eat again is kinda worrisome..."

     "It's not that bad. Quite normal. Don't worry about it." I opened the door, looking back at his charming face.

      "If you say so. Have a nice lunch though!" He gave a small wave, more like a flourish of his hand. .  .

      I acknowledged his wave with a tilt of my head, heading out to the small health foods restaurant. After eating, looking at my list.

      King sized pillows. . . So just large pillows.

      I headed back to the store, inside I got a glance at a blonde girl standing by the main entrance, a slightly torn expression as she looked inside. I went over to her, clearing my throat lightly.

     "How may I help you?" I asked calmly, shortening my sentence by a word when I realized she was actually a he.

      "Uh- I was just wondering if this store had antique books, do you work here or something?" He gave me a quizzical look.

      "Yes, and yes." I nodded, looking at the door to realize why the boy hadn't walked in yet. . . . The boss had forgotten to adjust the closed to open sign. "Here, come in." I opened the door for the kid.

      "Thank you so much!" His quizzical look turned into a boyish happiness, stepping inside and looking around, seeming to take in the scene with a bit of wonder.

     "The books are right over there." I gestured, seeing the boss running a feminine finger across the backs of the books, holding a cup of tea in his other.

      "Boss, someone is looking for books." I said as I set my bag down. The boy stopped and stared at the boss with dazzled eyes, like a kitten with bells.

      "Oh- good afternoon! Sorry I didn't hear you both come in." His clothes rustled as he stepped down from his ladder like an imaginary prince. "what kind of books?"

      "1800's romance novels . . . I- am doing a report on them," the boy watched his every move with fascination.

      He blinked in surprise. "Ah... wait really!? Oh that's amazing! I know everything about that Era, give me a moment. I'll find you a few of my favorite novels."
He was a good entertainer, I'll give him that.