Chapter Nineteen

~Episode Three~

Grace sat once again in her room, reading the letter from Jane. Many suitors had come to the house to see her, the Easton household was buzzing trying to decide who the best husband would be for their dearest Jane

It was a wonder to most people why Grace chose to marry Elliot at all. Why she didn't run away, why she stayed with him even after what he put her through.

And that was for her sister.

Past:

The morning had just risen from its sleep when Grace's eyes opened. Sitting up, her hair falling over her shoulder her gaze turned to the large bouquet of flowers sitting on the vanity.

Her eyes hardening on them and snatching the note tied to one of the stems.

Dearest Grace,

I hope you enjoy the flowers as they reminded me of you,

You are like a swan hidden in a river, a diamond still covered in ash.

Hopefully the next time we meet it will be in a church where we may join as one.

Yours,

Count Elliot Kelly

Her stomach had twisted itself into a knot, as she picked up the flowers and threw them at the closest wall where they collided softer than Grace wanted.

"He got you flowers, that is so romantic!"

Grace turned around to be met with the soft grey eyes of her sister, Jane.

Barely a year younger than her, Jane was their mother's favorite and most accomplished daughter. She was skilled at piano and needlepoint, something Grace could never do because she had no patience for such things. 

Jane longed for marriage, no matter the cost or for whom it was. She wanted to be able to live out the life her sister never wanted to. Jane had swooned for almost every suitor but could not be married until her older sister was or it would bring shame onto the family.

"Not as romantic as it seems," Grace muttered sitting back on her bed as Jane came over to read the note.

"He called you diamond!"

"Yes, but one that's covered in ash and ruin seems more of an insult."

Jane rolled her eyes sitting next to her sister, "He is trying to romance you, Grace. You could be more..." She trailed off thinking of the right word to say.

"Enthusiastic?" Grace mumbled her tone contrasting with the word entirely.

"Exactly! He is by far the best suitor that has come to see you." 

Grace sighed standing up from the bed, "I will be spending the day at Simon's so please tell Mama not to bother will another music teacher I will not be showing up."

It was now Janes turn to sigh as she watched her sister change into a dress she was sure would be ruined by the end of the day as it was to rain later on, "You know it wouldn't be the most terrible thing in the world if you tried to-"

"Tried to what? Be you? Jane, I am the farthest thing from what Mama wishes me to be and I don't plan on changing myself for a man." Grace began to walk out not noticing her sister's pained expression.

"Then do it for me."

Grace stopped in her tracks turning around to meet her sister's glazed eyes, jaw locked in a straight line to stop her lip from trembling, and Grace's expression changed to stone to match, "That's not fair."