Chapter Thirteen

~Episode Two~

Simon stayed static almost the whole night, Daphne stayed by his side but when they danced once more his mind was somewhere else. Even if it was all a ruse Daphne begun to have feelings for the duke.

At a swift motion of gold Simon's eyes landed on The Count moving through the hall, Simon walked quickly from the dance floor Daphne following behind.

"What have you done with her?" Simon barked causing Elliot to turn around with a smug look on his face,  "You over-react Hastings did you not hear her, she doesn't need you anymore."

Once again the two men found themselves face to face this tome with no Anthony to stop Simon from murdering Elliot, "Where is she?" Simon growled and Elliot merely laughed doing up a button on his shirt that he noticed he missed.

"She is asleep, your dukeship."

"Where?" Daphne became almost afraid by the tone in Simons's voice now knowing what he was capable of after Nigel.

"Upstairs," he smirked and Simon left quickly to the staircase, "But I suggest you leave her be, she is quite exhausted after our," He paused as Simon turned back around, "escapades." Elliot finished cocking his head to one side, smiling.

Simon thought about putting Elliot in his place right then and there but that would only make matters worse. He ran up the stairs, boots pounding against the marble Daphne holding her dress as she followed.

They came to the only door that was shut and Simon turned around to her, his hand on the doorknob, "If you come in here you must never speak of this to anyone, do you understand?"

Daphne nodded and Simon took a breath before turning the doorknob and entering the bedroom.

Clothes and sheets were arrays around the room as if it had been caught up in a tornado. Simon quickly rushed over to the bed, where a red satin sheet lay over a limp body.

It was only then Daphne noticed the golden curls peeking out from underneath it. Simon kneeled beside the body removing part of the sheet so he could touch her face.

His breathing catching in his throat, "Grace," He whispered afraid his voice might crack. His hand placed onto her cheek, which was burning with the heat coming from it at the touch. His thumb brushing her hair from her face.

"Grace please open your eyes for me, please."  His voice came out as a stutter, the words being forced out of his mouth.

The flutter of lashes came into view as stark blue eyes focused on Simon's face, "Simon?" Grace asked and a smile broke out onto his face as she leaned into his hand, "Yeah Gracie it's me,"

Grace suddenly began to sit up not realizing why the sheet had been thrown over her, "What happened-" but she cut herself off feeling Simon pull the sheet to shield her from them now realizing she was nude.

A trembling breath echoes through the room as she looked down one arm holding the sheet the other holding her up, "No,"

She began muttering under her breath, her chest pumping and eyes springing with tears,

"He promised," She cried voice soft looking for help in Simons's eyes any sign that what she believed to occur didn't, but she couldn't remember what had happened.

"He promised me he wouldn't do it again," Simon wrapped his arms around her as her cries echoed around the room as his lips found a place on her forehead his hand massaging her hair.

Daphne watched from afar and even though she did not realize what had occurred barely hours ago her heart broke at the sight of the seemingly strong girl break."