Chapter Eight

~Episode One~
As planned the carriage arrived at precisely half-past five, holding the Duke with a wrapped sandwich in hand.

With the help of the footman, Grace stepped into the carriage in her new dress and most humbling corset.

"You didn't have to buy me a new dress you know, I have plenty of good ones that have not been tarnished by The Count."

Simon rolled his eyes, the corners of his mouth turning into a smirk, "Wel we can never be certin can we?" He then handed her the sandwich and Grace gave him a confused glance, "And what is this for?"

"I thought you might be tired of fruit and need something more satisfying."

Grace smilied, "You always think of everything don't you?"

SImon smiled back, "I learned from the best."

Once reaching the Bridgerton house they found themselves all seated at the table all together and this seemed to be a rather odd and uneasy concept for Simon and Grace as neither had family dinners much like the Bridgertons.

They currently sat eating a beautiful meal, Simon and Daphne seated next to each other which Grace guessed was not an accident.

She sat across from Simon and next to Violet the mother who acted very kind towards the girl despite what other thought of her. For Violet understood and had compassion for what Grace had to endure. As well she quickly noticed the bruise hidden behind her hair.

Anthony sat at the other end and since the pair had entered the house he had barely given her a glance unless it was to glare at her.

"Haven't you heard what we are talking about?" Benedict asked Anthony who seemed to be stabbing his food rather harshly.

"For all, we know Whistldown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury of all places" He countered.

"What should be so terrible about Bloomsbury?" Ben asked holding his fork up to his mouth, "Those people actually work for a living?"

"She does seem to be someone with access,"

"Who knows if whistle down is even a she?"

"Because she is too good to be anyone but a man?!"

"Well, I think its rather obvious that the writer is Lady Danbury,"

Grace looked up a Simon who was giving her almost the same expression as they both tried to hide a smile.

"Lady Danbury enjoys sharing her insults with society directly she would never both herself writing them all down."

Simon slightly nudged her leg stopping Grace from laughing at how preposterous that assumption was that Danbury was the esteemed gossip.

"I had a thought once that maybe Whistledown isn't a person at all but a number of people may be an organization perhaps." Grace said before taking a sip of her drink, Eloise's eyes widened at the mention, "That's brilliant and it makes everything so clear about how she knows practically everything"

Anthony's jaw tightened at Grace's voice reaching his ears, "Well Grace would know everything about Lady Whistledown now wouldn't you Countess?"

Grace choked on the water she was given at the remark as Daphne proceeded to try and scold him, "Anthony!" She almost yelled her eyebrows furrowed.

Grace could see Simon's hand tighten on his fork. She cleared her throat, "It quite alright Daphne, I'm glad his grace has seen what has been written about me and my dear husband, maybe it will convince him to find a wife of his own one day."

Eloise now choked on her own drink almost spitting it out at her comment before Colin gave her a kick to the leg as Anthony stared daggers and Grace went to cut another piece of her food.

"Funny Grace how you choose to spend your evening with us, while The Count sits at home after just getting back from Scotland. If you are truly that in love, shouldn't you be spending the night with him?"

Grace bit her tongue from lashing out at her once good friend now turned foe.

Ben bent down to speak lowly to her as the family kept eating engaging in private conversations as Anthony kept staring at her.

"I must apologize for Anthony he hardly ever means what he says."

Grace gave him a small smile in return, "Do not worry it was my fault to provoke him." She now looked back at her former friend. She never understood why all of a sudden Anthony loathed her with such fire in his veins and it frightened her.

She soon heard Violet's voice speaking to her and Simon and Grace turned to listen, "You must forgive this unruly debate,"

"Nonsense," Simon smiled, "We find it very entertaining."

"I must apologize for the two of us. We are not used to large family dinners." Grace added thinking back to their own childhoods of glum rooms and separate meals.

Simon continued to look around the table in amazement, "All of you sit at one table, even the children."

Violet pondered this for a second before answering, "Well, I realize it may be unfashionable, but we like each other most of the time. You should both join us more often, perhaps when we travel to our country seat, you both be most welcome. I believe that is also near your summer home is that correct Countess?"

Grace smiled, "Correct indeed, Elliot insists that we only go in the hotter months, he loves to do cross country skiing in the winters."

Suddenly a bang echoed from across the table from the two youngest Bridgertons and they began to argue. Simon looked at Grace remembering the banters they had about whether to swim in the nearby creek or go visit the village.

The meal went on Grace as well as the rest of the family soon overheard Simon and Daphne's slight argument over their blooming set up relationship.

"Hastings!" Anthony finally put a stop to it looking to Simon, "I'm so glad you decided to join us this evening. It was most spontaneous of you, especially to invite the Countess along in Lady Danbury's place."

"Not at all," Simon ignored the slight jab, "With Lady Danbury not feeling her best she insisted I bring Grace along in her place, and with Lady Danbury as well accepting you mother's gracious invitation on my behalf, how could I refuse?"

"You must stay for dessert its gooseberry pie, your grace."

Of course, it was and Grace expected no different it was his favourite of course. As well as hers.

A/N

We love new chapters and new backstories waiting to be uncovered don't we!

Don't worry I don't plan on Anthony being terrible to her forever. Our girl Grace needs a break!

I'm getting a blood test tomoroow and im super scared, any tips?

As always leave your comments, questions and concerns below as well as Votes!

Love you all!

XX