2 | most undignified, indeed

Start from the beginning

"That is what I was hoping to discuss." The Duke replies, not meeting Lady Danbury's eyes. "I have only returned to London to deal with my late father's affairs. I'm afraid it leaves me no time to... socialize. And so, whilst I appreciate your most gracious invitation, Lady Danbury, I must ask you to accept my regrets."

"Your regrets..." Lady Danbury tells him. "Are denied."

The Duke, still unable to meet her eyes, looks down.

"I suppose a brief appearance..." He tells her, and I hide my smile at how easily he caved at Lady Danbury's glare.

"Excellent." Lady Danbury says, with a smile, as she hands me her walking stick, and takes my arm for support. "You may leave that flask you carry at home." She tells him, as we start walking to the entrance. "Most undignified, isn't it, Miss Bridgerton?" She asks, still in hearing distance form the Duke.

"Most undignified, indeed, Lady Danbury." I reply, with a laugh.

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutante from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display. Titled, chaste, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth.

Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as 'the spinster'.

"THEY'RE ALL STARING, MOTHER." Anthony says, as we walk into the ball.

"Allow them to come to you, dears." Mama tells us.

"Lady Bridgerton, Miss Daphne, Miss Diana." Lord Ambrose greets. "Lord Bridgerton."

"I believe you have already been introduced to my daughter Daphne, Lord Ambrose." Mama tells him.

"Uh, yes. We met at your brother's levee." Lord Ambrose replies.

"If I recall, my lord, you had just won your first race at Newmarket." Daphne tells him.

"His first and only, I believe." Anthony cuts in, and I hide my smirk.

"Well, in that case, let us hope his lordship has found himself a new horse." Daphne says.

"I haven't had the pleasure of seeing you at our club lately, Ambrose." Anthony continues. "Should it have anything to do with the unpaid balance you left on our betting books winter last?"