However, a few minutes later, Alice asked why neither of the twins had gone to their lockers. I didn't know, so I just shrugged as the football team, minus Jake, came walking down the hall. I noticed Avalon's crush, Hunter Miller, walking past us, and he looked over at me.

"MIA!" He said, and I waved at him. I saw someone start to walk away faster, and turning to see who it was, I saw the football team walk after... Brad. Of course. He must've said something to Avalon, or something, and Jake's comforting her. "Hey, you want to hang out later?"

"Why not?" I asked, and then thought of Avalon. "Actually, I think I've got plans with Alice. Gonna go have a spa day with my girl here. Right?"

Alice was dead silent, and when I looked, she was talking to Brady Davidson, current captain of the football team. I sighed, my excuse being see-through when she ain't even paying any attention to me.

"Mia, can I talk to you? Alone?" Hunter asked, and I sighed before nodding slightly. Avalon was going to be SO mad at me if she figured out. Before I knew it, he had grabbed my sleeve, and we were in a random room. I heard him fumble around for a second for a light switch, and I kind of laughed. Everyone thought of him as this "smooth player" of the football team. And while it was true that he was smooth ON the field, I was beginning to realize that he wasn't too smooth OFF the field.

He finally found the switch, and I looked around. Wow, a janitor's closet. Real original, Miller. However, he looked at me quickly, and I realized that he hadn't brought me in here to make out or hook up real quick. I started to feel bad, but his reputation preceded him. It made me wonder why Avalon would ever like him. He was the boy who skipped class to hook up with his girl of the week, or of the day.

"I'm not here asking you for anything you may be thinking. I'm not gonna treat you like any other girl I'd have brought in here. Because I've got a person in mind for that. And while you know her, and are QUITE close to her, I want to see just how smart you are."

"I'm close to her, you say?" I asked, and he nodded. "So it's either Avalon or Alice. But I never see you around Alice. You see Avalon a lot during practice, as she practices cheer while y'all practice throwing a ball down the field."

"Interesting turn you've gone down with reasoning," he said, looking directly at me. "Anything else to point to her? Out of curiosity?"

"You're Jake's best friend, so you also see more of her that way, as wherever Jake is, Avalon seems to be right there with him. You two are in the same grade, so that's not hard to see how you see each other during the day. Oh, not to mention every time I mention her, you look away for a split second, hoping I don't see the smile that lights up your face."

Hunter grinned down at me, and then looked up at the door quickly. He grabbed my sleeve once more, and pulled me behind a shelf, just as the door opened. His hand quickly covered my mouth, stopping the sharp gasp of surprise that I couldn't help but release. A light was shining in their direction, but it just barely missed the top of Hunter's head, as he was ducked as low as he could.

"Don't make a noise," he whispered in my ear, just barely. I just nodded, and Hunter released me slowly. The door slowly creaked to a close, as the light above them turned off. Hunter stood up, and used his phone as a flashlight to offer me his hand to use as I stood up.

"Why didn't you use your phone's flashlight to find the light switch when we first came in here?" I asked, and Hunter laughed.

"Honestly, I didn't even think of using my flashlight at that moment," he admitted, and I shook my head. "But let's not turn the light back on. I'll just leave my phone face down, so we have enough light to see by, without one of us being in shadows as the other gets blinded."

I grabbed my phone, turned on the flashlight, and found the switch in under 30 seconds. Hunter grumbled, and I sighed.

"Hunter," I said, and he looked at me. "You can't exactly HATE the light, ya know. You play under spotlights every Friday."

"I didn't get much sleep last night. I was planning on talking to Avalon today, but then Brad talked to her, Jake rescued her, and then he took her home."

"When does the bell-?"

RRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!1

"About right now. We should probably get to homeroom," Hunter said, and I grabbed his sleeve real quick. "What's up? Need something?"

"Meet me here in 15 minutes. Homeroom is over then, and we'll be counted as here for the day if we don't sign out. I've got an idea."

"Alright, then."

And that is why I would be at a park when Jake called me, and I betrayed Avalon in the slightest way possible. But first, we had to escape the high school. After Jake's and Hunter's past methods of escaping got figured out, the school has been on constant watch. As long as they're still in the building, or at least on campus, it's fine. But going outside when they don't have gym or lunch is a massive indication that something or someone is gonna get hurt or destroyed. Just ask Brad about last spring.

~End Chapter~

~AN~

Word Count- 1522

Not sure how I feel about that one. But the question is, how is Mia about to destroy her cousin's trust in her? Is it worth it? I forced myself to crank out a chapter for this story, but like I said, I'm not sure how I like it. It's alright, given a high school setting, but almost felt forced in some areas. You'll get Hunter's POV after the Third Person POV next chapter. It should be fun. I'm gonna try to find a picture of someone I think could portray him, and put him up at the top or something.

Outwardly, he seems like this funny, laid-back kind of guy, who has a new girl every week. But he's got his issues at home and in school just like everyone else does in life. His just so happens to be a little rougher. And once again, you'll get more detail as you read through his perspective next chapter. Hope y'all enjoyed! Bye!

-Keegan

Quote of the day:

"Money can't buy happiness."

-Chris Stapleton, "Buy Me a Boat"