Prologue: Crumbled to ashes

Hello dear readers,

I hope that my story with Gaius will catch your attention and captivate you. English is not my first language, so I would like to apologize for any grammatical mistakes or if some terms are not quite correct.

Have fun while reading! <3

„And so my conquest ends, Cid. In smoke and ashes..."

The sea of flames engulfed the last remnants and piles of debris of the Praetorium that remained after the activation of the Ultima Weapon. The smell of burnt flesh and oil lingered heavily in the air, while the defeated Legatus rose from the ground with the last of his strength and gazed bitterly at his supposed end.

The shaft of Heirsbane made a low creaking sound as the Garlean gripped it tightly with his burnt hand. Blood flowed down the long blade and dripped onto the scorched ground. His blood. The blood of the conqueror. The same gunblade which have spilled the blood of nine aspirants to the crown in times past. Conquering Eorzea was just another stage in his life to further consolidate the status of the Garlearian Empire. The primae, idols who shamelessly drained this world of the essence of life, conjured up by desperate, feeble peoples, should disappear from this universe once and for all. All that is needed is one's own strength to determine where one stands in life, instead of gods who feasted on the servility and helplessness of their followers.

"Like a fool." He would die like a fool. His glorious campaign of conquest was over. The Warrior of Light, despite the use of the Ultima Weapon, had crushed him. But the fact that he had been used by the Ascians merely to accomplish for their lower aspirations ignited an unprecedented agony in him. His failure was unforgivable to the Garlearian Empire and to his fallen soldiers. He had made a momentous mistake, which was to be expected from a foolish youth, but not from a veteran who had already fought and won countless battles.

The heated metal of his armour burned into his flesh while countless explosions brought the Praetorium to its final downfall. He felt no physical pain for quite some time as he let his tired body wander aimlessly into the flaming inferno with ponderous steps.
...
...
...
This was the end for the man "van Baelsar".
...
...
...
The golden eyes of the Garlean flashed hatefully, heralding the birth of a new life.