XVI

Corinna walked in on Andreas packing his bags. "What's going on?"

"I'm going back to New York for a few weeks. To take care of some business." Andreas grinned at his mother.

Corinna smiled back, and left.

Andreas finished packing his knapsack, then turned his attention to his suitcase. As soon as he was finished packing, he went to the living room, where he found his parents and Helena, who looked at him.

"Your mother tells me you're going back to New York."

"Just for business...and it isn't for long."

"Daniel and Isabella are having their engagement party on Friday night. Everyone can say goodbye to you then." Corinna's face lit up.

"I'll be sure to keep Friday night open." Andreas nodded at his parents and aunt, and left the house.

Katherine retrieved her vibrating cell phone from her jacket pocket, and checked the screen; a comm from her father. "Hey, Dad. What's up?"

"Are you coming to Daniel and Isabella's engagement party?"

"I specifically made an opening in my schedule for it. I'm almost finished planning the after-party now. Besides, Isabella asked me to be her maid of honour."

"You're having an after-party?"

"Well, Danny and Isabella have to suffer through the party thrown by their parents, so the after-party is my way of at least trying to get the taste of the snobby party out of their mouths. Danny really appreciates it."

"I'll bet. But I'm glad I'll be seeing you at the actual party as well. You mentioned you're Isabella's maid of honour? That's twice in one year."

"I know, Dad, but I like Isabella."

Mark chuckled. "I get it."

"I've gotta go—I've got things to do."

"All right. I'll see you at the party."

The conversation ended, and Katherine returned to work.

Helena's house and yard were filled with people; someone played the piano, server androids milled around carrying plates of hors d'oeuvres, and people gathered in groups, talking.

"Where are Danny and Isabella?" Katherine asked.

"They'll turn up." Mark grinned at her.

"I can't believe that New York wank-stain used their engagement party to get everyone to say goodbye to him," Julie groused.

"It wouldn't be so bad if he was leaving for good," Duff followed.

"Just try to be happy for Daniel and Isabella," Mark interjected.

"I'm so glad you could make it," Helena gushed, as she approached them.

"Anyone have a barf bag?" Katherine muttered.

If Helena heard her, she didn't let on. "Go on, join the fun."

Bianca and Donna rushed towards Cammy and Marisol, who brightened at the sight of them.

"Looks like we'd better brace ourselves to rub shoulders with the rich and hoity-toity."

"That's assuming they'll let you."

Everyone turned to see Jocelyn stepping out of the house; Mark cast a look of reprimand in her direction, which she ignored as she sneered at Katherine, Julie, Shelly, Duff, Lily, and Nate.