XII

The day after Marisol's birthday, Katherine commed Julie and asked her to cover for her at the Cooperative for the day, then headed to her paternal grandparents' home in Mount Pleasant. Patrick welcomed her and let her into the house, and she headed to Georgina's study.

She pulled one book after another off the shelf, and entered the titles and authors on a spreadsheet application on her tablet before returning each book where she found it.

After several hours, she took a copy of Georgina's book, Panem, Sanguis, et Circenses off of the shelf above the desk; as she did so, a folded piece of papyrus fell out of the jacket. Katherine put the book down, picked up the papyrus, unfolded it, and smirked as she read it.

She had just finished reading the letter when she looked up and saw Andreas standing in the entrance to the study, looking at her. She held up the letter. "You and Jocelyn, huh?"

"That was years ago. Cammy and the other girls were barely in high school."

"Good to know."

"Jocelyn and Alistair Hebblethwaite had just broken up..."

"And you just happened to be there to help mend her broken heart." Katherine rolled her eyes.

"Jocelyn and I are just friends now."

Katherine put the letter down on the desk. "This is the most beautiful story of lust on the rebound I've ever heard. Be that as it may, I've never been keen on taking Jocelyn's hand-me-downs—and not just because they didn't fit. How did you convince my grandfather to let you in, anyway?"

"I just rang the doorbell, and he let me in. As for me being one of Jocelyn's hand-me-downs, as you put in...OK, I have a past. But you can't make a decision based on the past."

"From what I've observed, your scummy behaviour—especially with women—is ongoing."

"What about you? I saw you and Thad at the party yesterday."

"Given your reputation, you have no right to be jealous, no matter the relationship between me and Thad."

"I haven't had any opportunities to do anything anyone might consider bad since I got here."

"I saw the exchange between you and Eddie Winston at the party yesterday, and I still mean to ask Eddie about it. And did you honestly think I wouldn't find out about your bet with Jocelyn?"

Andreas gaped at Katherine.

Katherine catalogued Panem, Sanguis, et Circenses into her tablet, and put it back in its place on the shelf. "I think you should go."

Andreas sighed, and left, being sure to say goodbye to Patrick.

He went to a nearby café, and ordered a cappuccino; once he got it, he thought as he nursed it.

"You look perturbed."

Andreas looked up to see Jean.

"Do you mind if I join you?"

"Sure."

Jean sat down. "So, what's on your mind?"

"Katherine found out I made a bet with Jocelyn."

"Which entailed..."

"If I manage to get Katherine into bed by Christmas, I can sleep with Jocelyn on New Year's Eve. If I fail, she gets my property in Australia."