twenty eight

Victoria Hunt

Victoria Hunt

The ballroom was already full of people, most unsuspecting of the events that were going to follow throughout the night. We didn't know when Blaze would show but we had to be ready. I followed my brothers to talk to the Van Doren's while Asrael's family went to talk to some friends.

Alessia was having fun with some of her friends she went to school with but River was by her side, ready to take her out as soon as he was here.

I took a deep breath, putting on a smile and shaking hands Dante after my brothers had done so. His younger sisters that were twins smiled at me and I returned the genuine one.

"Everything ready?" Dante asked, taking a sip of his champagne.

"Yes, there's no room for error." Alex told him and he nodded firmly before they engaged in a somewhat normal conversation, as normal as conversations with rival mafia families went.

I followed Wyatt to the confectionery table and he threw me a lollipop before stuffing his pockets with gummy bears. Damon joined us, stealing the lollipop from me while Wyatt and Helios talked.

As more time passed and Blaze didn't show my nerves started building up but I forced them back down. I had my brothers and five of the most powerful mafia families backing me up.

Damon nudged me and I looked at him before following his eyes. I saw Blaze standing by the entrance with several other men and women. The guard, who happened to be Alessia's cousin was checking the guest list.

Damon nodded to me and placed his hand on the small of my back, leading us back to our brothers. They all exchanged a look before Reuben started toward Dante who took one glance at him before talking to his family.

No room for error.

Wyatt sent me an encouraging half smile and I returned it before catching Blaze's eye. He started towards me and I looked around for Alessia, sighing in relief when I noticed she was gone.

"Vic, I missed you." Blaze said as he reached me, kissing my cheek.

Don't slap him. Don't slap him. Not yet.

I just returned his smile and nodded, leading him over to one of the tables. I looked at Creed who was talking to someone on the phone. Everything was going smoothly.

Blaze picked up two glasses of the champagne and handed me one. I took it with a simple 'thanks' and we both drank.

"So, how have you been. I'm sorry for how I acted that day." He told me and I almost believed him. But the knowledge that he didn't have one good bone in his body made me inwardly scoff.