They both knew that they needed to talk with the kids about Aang's job. Bumi had the talk many years ago, along with Kya, when she was an infant. Bumi was upset and tried to fight against it. But over time, he accepted and understood that the world needed his father just as much as Bumi needed Aang. For Kya and Tenzin, Aang and Katara were hopeful that Bumi would try to show an example of how to respond.

Aang returned to the kids and picked them up as he usually would when he came home. After setting them down on the temple's wooden floors, Aang lowered himself to the ground as well. Katara followed and sat between Aang and Bumi, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Guys, we need to have an important talk," Aang asserted.

"It's crucial that you listen to your father and understand that there isn't a way out of this situation."

Bumi knew what was about to go down and pulled Kya and Tenzin closer to him. Their faces began to fall as the mood of the room changed to serious.

The evening progressed, and tears escaped from Kya and Tenzin's eyes.

"But why, Daddy? Why?" Kya cried out.

"I have an obligation to the world. You know I'd love to be with all of you all day if I could, but sometimes I need to intervene."

Heartsorely, Katara wave their children closer for a hug.

Kya grumbled, "Why does everything have to change?"

"Nothing is changing, but we felt that you needed to know after your father's injuries today," Katara reasoned.

Bumi remained silent, holding Tenzin tight in his arms. Tenzin hadn't said much of anything. He looked scared and distant. Their family had always been one to hug things out and resolve conflicts with physical affection, so all Bumi knew was to hug Tenzin in hopes that they'd all understand. Kya was in his father's lap, holding onto his ropes in a desperate matter.

"Who's going to protect you if you're protecting the world?"

Aang looked to Bumi and Katara, then back to Kya.

"You all are. All I need is our family."

Kya continued to cry as Bumi and Tenzin skootched closer to their parents. Aang was worried that he had told them too soon. It was when he was younger and living at the Southern Air Temple when his childhood nearly diminished. But he knew deep down that everything would be okay. As his wife said, nothing was changing.

Time for dinner had passed, but no one was hungry. All they wanted was to continue holding each other for support. After Tenzin and Kya passed out in their parent's grasps, they, along with Bumi, set them in their beds.

Aang turned to Bumi, saying, "Are you okay?"

Bumi shrugged, "Yeah. But why do you have to get hurt?"

Sincerely, Aang smiled and laid his hand upon Bumi's shoulder.

"Some things take risks, and there are some pretty bad people out there. But don't let that scare you. There are plenty of great people as well. But know that your mother and I would never let anything happen to you or your siblings."

Bumi nodded, hugging his father once again. Bumi felt tears welling in his eyelids.

Voice cracking, he said, "I hate seeing you hurt, Dad."

Aang let out a single chuckle, "Your mom does too. But don't be afraid. It takes more than a few punches to take your old man down."

Bumi smiled, wiping his tears, and headed off to his room, getting ready for bed. Aang returned to his room, where Katara was already in her sleepwear.

"It doesn't get any easier telling them," Aang confessed, closing the bedroom door.

"Yeah, but know they know not to be afraid."

"We can tell them to stop being afraid, but that won't stop them from being afraid."

"You are a wise Avatar," Katara said.

Taking off his robe, Aang shrugged. She wasn't wrong, but she had known this for a very long time since they were kids traveling the world.

Feeling a sharp pain in his right shoulder once again, Aang winced, and his left hand shot up to hold the shoulder blade. Katara saw and rushed over to him.

"Aang, sweetie, get in bed," she insisted.

Granted, Aang, still clutching his shoulder, made his way over to their bed. Katara, on the other hand, returned to the bathroom to retrieve water to heal his shoulder.

With the water encapsulated around her hand, she began healing his shoulder, making sure to focus extra hard on his chi paths.

Aang began chuckling lightly. Confused, Katara stopped and faced him.

"Two times in one day, huh?"

Katara rolled her eyes, saying, "No husband of mine is going to go all achy now."

When she finished healing him, she got under the covers while Aang changed into his nightclothes. Returning to his wife, who was already comfortable in bed, Aang carefully laid beside her.

Still having energy left, Aang whispered, "You're so talented at healing me. Though, you are the best waterbender in the world."

Katara flipped over to face Aang.

"I know," she said, gazing into his sparkling eyes.

Aang kissed her nose and held her tight.

"Nothing is going to happen to me. You don't have to worry about me, sweetie."

Grumbling, she sighed into his chest.

"Fine. But I better not have to heal you tomorrow night or so help me," she threatened.

"Or you'll what?" Aang asked playfully.

Katara playfully swatted him.

"Nothing, but you owe me."

"Turn over," Aang said.

Katara listened and flipped over to face the wall. Soon, she felt Aang's warm hands begin to massage her tense shoulders. Releasing a puren sound, she eased into his strong, delicate hands.

"Consider your efforts paid for," he whispered.

Katara hummed and said, "I see that I'm not the only one who's talented in the room."

Aang started to spoon her, nestling his chin in her summery shoulder.

Enjoying each other's company and warmth, they fell asleep happily, knowing that as long as they had each other, they would be okay.