Chapter 8: Shattered

Start from the beginning

"Yes. His lips were blue and frost was clinging to the tips of his hair. He overall felt like an icicle and I was worried he would fall into hypothermic shock. He certainly would've if he was out there any longer." Vaughn replied, his arms crossed as he leaned sideways against the wall. "He probably doesn't need all those blankets anymore, but he seems to like being under all of them.

I guess it's a comfort thing, although I have noticed he really seems to like that white one. He never let's go of it." The teal haired man continued, his emerald eyes trained on John.

Seraphina could tell what blanket the headmaster was talking about. The young male was clutching it to his chest like a child with their favorite toy, and if this were any other day, she probably would've taken a bunch of pictures if she was being honest.

The girl tilted her head to the side as she continued to look at the blanket. It looked a lot like a blanket she had given him awhile back.

Seraphina shook her head to clear her thoughts from the blanket, and instead snapped her head up to look at Vaughn as memories of earlier resurfaced.

"During your conversation with Conrad, I heard you mention something about repressed memories. Did John have repressed memories?" She asked softly. She was afraid if she spoke too loud she would startle John, and she didn't want to startle him anymore than he already was.

"Yes." Vaughn answered while sighing and briefly closing his eyes before opening them, disgust showing bright in their depths. "Well of course they're no longer repressed thanks to that idiot." He spat.

Seraphina let her gaze fall back down to John. She didn't need to ask Vaughn who he was talking about, it was already obvious.
"Why would they do this to him? They couldn't have found someone else?" The young female whispered, rage evident in her tone as she slowly lifted a hand to gently brush John's raven bangs out of his face.

He offered no reaction.
Vaughn watched the girl for a seconds, and only decided to reply to her questions after she brought her hand away from John's face and dropped it back down to her side where she was kneeling beside the bed.

"Apparently John is the only living proof of what the authorities have done. It seems it was so bad that his brain repressed the memories. Either that, or someone forcibly repressed them with an ability." Vaughn answered Seraphina, only to bring a finger to his chin in thought.

'Actually, that would make sense if an ability was used. The authorities couldn't risk John running around and telling people what they had done. Whatever that might have been.' Vaughn's expression grew solemn as he started thinking of different possibilities of what exactly happened to the boy laying in bed in front of him. Seraphina also seemed to have the same questions as him, as she voiced them out loud.

"Do you have any clue about what traumatized him?"

"No." The teal-haired man replied, only for his eyes to slightly widen at the memory of the three words John had spoken to him. "Actually he did say something about the authorities, experimenting, and drugs. That's all he's said this week."

"What do you mean?" Seraphina asked after he was finished, raising an eyebrow to tell him to continue.
"He's only said those three words to me. Otherwise he's just been like this." Vaughn sighed, tilting his head up slightly to look at the white ceiling.
It was silent again for a few moments before Seraphina was, once again, the one to break the silence.

"Wow. He's really broken, isn't he?" She let out a dry, humorless laugh as tears started to once again form in her blue eyes.

"He's also eaten basically nothing while he's been here." Vaughn added, eyes still on the ceiling.
Seraphina's eyes widened in even more worry. How could she not be worried about the person most important to her.