A third metallic sound. A key in a lock. Screeching hinges as his cell door was pushed open. Varian curled further into his protective ball, knowing it would do nothing against the heavy boots the guards wore. His breathing quickened against his will. Gone were the days when he could look his tormentors in the eye and feign a confidence of sorts.

A hand touched his arm. He flinched away from the contact. Nononono don't hurt me why can't you just leave me alone

Expecting the hand to grab him and drag him roughly to his feet the way they always did when he was unable to move on his own, he was surprised to feel it suddenly release him. He tried to look up again but was met with a wave of dizziness that threatened to send him into unconsciousness. A voice said something that he couldn't understand. Then strong arms were gently lifting him, supporting him against a muscular chest. A wave of panic flashed through the little prisoner, and he tried weakly to twist out of the hold. His efforts were in vain, and the person holding him readjusted their grip slightly to keep him from falling.

Despite the fog clouding his brain, Varian was aware that the chest he was leaned against was covered in fur rather than metal armor. That, combined with the fact that he was being carried rather than dragged, was enough to open the possibility that this was not a guard. Rather than feeling relieved, this only made him struggle more. Who was the stranger? What did he want with him? Where were they going? If he wanted to kill him, he could have very well done that back in the cell. Was he being taken away for a more sinister purpose? They would have sent a guard escort if that was the case.

None of the puzzle pieces were fitting together in his fevered mind. So he did the only thing he could think to do. He kept struggling. The stranger shifted him again, and this time Varian was able to understand what he was saying.

"Stop wiggling unless you want us to get caught. I'll knock you out myself."

Varian gritted his teeth. "Put...me...down." His voice was weak and raspy.

The stranger groaned, then tossed the boy over his shoulder. "Seriously. Do you want these guys to catch us? I don't think they'll appreciate seeing you out of your cell. Now stop moving."

The sudden motion set Varian's head spinning again. This time he lost the battle to stay awake.

O‴O‴O‴

Hector could count the number of times he had been truly, deeply mad on one hand.

Right now, he was furious.

Word had spread about the battle in Old Corona. Apparently it had caused quite the stir throughout the Seven Kingdoms. Remembering that Old Corona was where his estranged brother had chosen to settle down and pretend he didn't have a family, the warrior had decided to drop in for a visit. Not that he was concerned, of course. Quirin could handle himself. Certainly no worry about the older warrior at all. No, just idle curiosity.

The first person he had asked had stared at him in shock, then responded flippantly that he hoped the two hadn't been close.

Following the rumor trail, Hector had found Quirin's encased form and learned that it was apparently his own son that had done this. The boy had brought an entire kingdom to his knees, attempted to murder the queen and a handmaiden, and killed his father. The villagers had had no shortage of cruel things to say about the traitor. Hector's opinion of the boy sank lower with every person he asked. Then he had run across one little old lady.

Quirin's son... Ah, yes, I remember him. Varian. A sweet child, or at least he was. Always made me a special medicine to help my joints. Much better than that stuff the physician charged a fortune for. And the little dear wouldn't take a penny in payment. Just said he was happy to help. Oh, his age? He was... gracious, fourteen, I think? Yes, thirteen or fourteen. What? No, he was just a little thing. Hardly bigger around than a sapling. Couldn't put meat on that boy's bones for nothing. Shame about his father. And I never saw the boy after that horrible blizzard. Wondered what happened to him. Then they said he kidnapped the queen. Doesn't sound like him, not at all. He'd never hurt a fly. Wonder what they did with him...