Steve

Steve emerged from the elevator to hear the classical music from the speakers and people chattering with glasses of champagne in their hands. He checked himself to make sure his blue button-down was tucked and straightened his brown captain jacket before appearing in the lounge.

"Hey, Steve," Thor exclaimed from across the room and he went towards him.

"Thor."

He looked around the guests, sighing at Tony cracking jokes with Rhodes causing their group to laugh.

"Hey," Thor nudged his arm and glanced afar.

Steve followed his gaze to the elevator to Rue who had stepped out. Everything fell silent and still as he looked at the short lilac satin dress she was in. Her hair was slick back into a high ponytail with clips on the right side to hold the bangs. He noticed the gold chain around her neck that shined against the light alongside the faint sparkles.

"Don't stare, go get her," the old man spoke and he snapped out of his trance.

Thor patted him on the shoulder and as he started moving towards her, she was called by Tony and went to him. He exhaled, pivoting back to Thor who loudly laughed, playing a drinking game with the old folks.

Rue

Rue had grown distance to the conversation she was in, seeing Steve's blond hair behind Rhodes' head.

"I'm gonna get a drink," she said and slowly slipped away.

Going behind the bar, she shook herself an olive martini and sipped it, watching everyone enjoy themselves.

"Don't get too drunk," Natasha smiled.

"I won't."

The redhead grabbed a bottle and poured it into two shot glasses passing it over and they took it.

"Bruce looks like he needs someone to talk to," Rue said.

"And so does Steve."

She raised her eyebrows with a slow blink and Nat smirked with a slight nod.

"Oh and here comes Cap," Nat said and slipped away.

Rue stayed frozen and turned, leaning on the countertop to fit the puzzle piece he had formed. She glanced around, trying not to meet his eyes and when she did, they smiled.

"I had to get away from them, they were getting too tipsy," he explained.

She peered over his shoulder and frowned, "I don't think they were invited."

"You did a good job, planning and everything," he complimented. "Having a good time?"

"Yeah. You?"

He made an unsure nod and laughed it off.

"Drink?" she asked.