Chapter 10: Extra Help

A couple days after Jasmine got sick, Anthony knew he couldn't keep taking care of both Jasmine and Star. Jasmine's condition was getting worse and Star still required a lot of care.

He called his mom over to take care of Star during the day while he took care of Jasmine. He was getting breakfast for the two of them when she arrived and they said a quick hello before he directed her to where everything that Star needed was located.

He went back upstairs to Jasmine and she immediately latched onto him, burying her face in his neck. He kissed her forehead and asked, "You wanna eat now or wait for a bit?"

"I wanna feel better," she mumbled, hiding her face in his chest. "I wanna see Star, I wanna make sure she's okay."

"I know Jas, but you gotta eat to feel better," he told her. "And don't worry about Star either, Ma's here, she's gonna take care of her."

"It hurts," she whimpered, scrubbing her hand over her eyes.

"I know, I know baby girl, but if you don't take care of yourself then it's just gonna hurt more," he told her. "Go ahead and eat now and get some medicine, then we can rest for a little bit more time and take a bath."

"Okay," she mumbled, gingerly picking up her food and eating.

Mildred carried Star into the door frame, holding her up so Jasmine could see her. Anthony immediately saw her perk up and she waved to her.

"Hi sweet girl," she said, smiling at her. "I miss you a lot, but 'm doing my best to get better."

Star's eyes fixed on her and she reached out for Jasmine. The three of them laughed and Jasmine mumbled, "Just a few more days baby and then I'll be back."

Mildred carried her back into her room to get her ready for the day and Jasmine tucked herself back against Anthony, promptly falling asleep.

He woke her up an hour later, knowing she couldn't sleep all day and helped her sit up so she could wake up. He pressed a couple gentle kisses to her shoulder blade and she smiled, tucking herself against him.

"You ready to get up now?" he asked, gently wrapping his arms around her.

"Yeah," she mumbled, her eyes still half closed. He slid his arms under her knees, picking her up, grabbing some clothes for them and carrying her into the bathroom.

She swayed a bit when he set her down and she wrapped her arms around him to ground herself, whimpering quietly.

"I know baby," he said, gently holding her and rocking back and forth. "I got you, I got you."

He reached down and turned the water on, letting the tub fill up. She pressed a sleepy kiss to his collarbone and he smiled, rubbing her back.

"Can you get in with me?" she asked softly, once the tub had filled up.

"Of course," he responded. The two of them settled into the tub and she tucked herself against him.

He ran his hands down her arms, lacing his fingers with hers. She leaned her head against his shoulder and he softly pressed kisses to her neck.

"You comfortable?" he asked and she nodded.

"I already feel better," she mumbled, laughing softly.

He felt her relax as he washed her hair, occasionally kissing her cheek and forehead. They stayed cuddled up in the water until it started to turn cold and he got out, turning to help her.

They changed into fresh clothes and got back in bed, Anthony tightly braiding her hair back so it stayed out of her face. She pressed herself against him, tucking her head against his neck.

"You wanna watch some TV?" he asked. "Might distract you from how you're feeling."

"Mhm," she mumbled and he pulled the covers over the two of them. They stayed snuggled up in bed together for almost the rest of the day, Jasmine slipping in and out of sleep.

He noticed her starting to get worse as the day went on, even as she took medicine and rested. She felt weighed down, almost like she couldn't move. Part of her didn't want to.

Anthony recognized that and gently laid her down so she could get some rest. He picked up their dishes from today and brought them downstairs, washing them off.

His mom was gently rocking Star to sleep when he came back upstairs and he leaned against the door, watching the two of them.

"How's Jasmine doing?" she asked quietly, not wanting to wake up the sleeping infant.

"She's not doing so hot. Didn't feel like doing much today which makes sense. I know today and tomorrow are gonna be the worse days. We're lucky that Star is sleeping through the night though, makes it a lot easier on us," he responded.

"Well, I'm here to help out as long as you two need," she told him.

Anthony smiled at the fact that Star was fast asleep in her arms and he said, "I swear you're magical, it usually takes us a while to get her down sometimes."

"When you raise three children you learn a thing or two," she responded.

She carefully laid Star down in her crib, shushing her when she started to whimper. "There you go," she whispered. "Sleep well nieta."

They left the nursery, her quietly closing the door and Anthony said, "Thanks for taking care of her today. We'll see you tomorrow?"

She nodded and told him, "You take care of your wife."

He laughed softly and responded, "I will." He opened the door to their room and got in bed with Jasmine.

She murmured something, turning halfway to him. He slid his arm around her back, securing her against him.

"Don't you worry about a thing baby," he whispered, kissing her forehead. "I've got it all under control."

yes i'm using friends gifs to convey my thoughts about yesterday