Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Katie, I'm really sorry that you have to transfer to another school." My mom said for the hundredth time. I dismissed her by nodding, quickly chomping my breakfast -- cereals -- down. It was nearly the end of the semester and unluckily I had to quit and start off a new bloody life here in the-middle-of-god-knows-where. C'mon, I was already contented in London.

Mom and Dad had a divorce, but I really don't care. I wasn't close to my lying cheater of a dad, anyway.

Starting a new bloody life. Oh yeah, I could get used to this. Get my heavy sarcasm! I'm getting used to that phrase. We moved and transferred to different places three times this year. Three times. Yeah, what the hell, right?

So tell me. What else is new?

"So, Katie, darling... How's your Jon-hunting?" Mom sighed and smiled a little. I swallowed my cereal and gave a wry smile. She was trying to make conversation. Oh mom. My mother knew that the possibility of me finding my best friend is nonexistent.

Jon. God, I miss that guy so much. Where in the world is his ass hiding? I've been searching for him for the past seven years, what the hell. Still, I have no progress of finding my one and only long lost best friend after he left home when we were twelve without saying goodbye. I can’t believe I call him my best friend. What kind of friend does that?

Hell yeah. He rocks.

"Nil. Nada. Zilch." I shrugged and chugged my half-empty glass of milk.

"Oh honey,” Mom stood up and stood behind me. She put her arms around me and said, “I know you miss the guy so bad. I remember the day that he bought you a magnificent dress! Who believed the guy knew how to shop? You two were so cute.” Mom chuckled. I stiffened at the memory, my chest tightening at her words.

I rolled my eyes and tried to laugh. Jonathan bought me a dress when we were ten years old, but that was the last memory I shared with him.

Because he left. Without warning his one and only best friend. Jackass. Jon and his family were gone on the day of my twelfth birthday. Best present ever. And yes, they didn’t even bother leaving a note or number or any way that I can reach them.

"Katie," mom cleared her throat, "I think you should go." She said, glancing at the wall clock. I blinked and felt a watery feeling on the corners of my eyes. I wiped them and leaned in to kiss mom's cheek.

"Good luck on your first day on the last semester, sweat pea." She hugged me. I snorted, right... As if she needed to remind me.

I headed towards the door, pausing at the mirror to stare at my reflection.

I ran my fingers through my mousy hair. I stared at my reflection's hazel eyes.

'You can survive, Kat.' I thought and left my house.

When I closed the door, I saw a girl with a blonde hair who was also closing the door of her house which was just six steps away from mine. Our eyes met and then she smiled. I smiled back.

She walked towards me, saying "Hi, neighbor! I heard that you just moved here." My smile turned a little bit small and nodded.

"Hey, I'm Katie Flynn." I tucked my long fringe behind my ear.

"It’s nice to meet you, Katie!" she held out her hand, "I'm Christina Emerson, call me Tina."

"Cool, it was nice meeting you.” I took it and shook her hand, “But I have to go to school. So, I'll just see you later?"

She narrowed her eyes for a second then quickly grabbed my arm and led me to the purple Porsche that's parking in front of their house. "Nah, I’ll give you a ride.” she said, "I’m assuming you go to Willow Spring High now?"

I stared at her for a moment and got in. Whatever, it's cool to know that your neighbor's studying at your new school. And a free ride. In a purple Porshe. Nice. “Mmh-hmm. You’re totally psychic.” I joked.

She got into the driver's seat and smiled warmly at me. “You’re going to love it there!” She started the engine and started driving. I returned the smile and let out a breath. I hope so.

Well, maybe… Just maybe… This town isn't going to be so bad. I smiled to myself, unconsciously touching my necklace. The necklace that Jon has given me. It's the only thing that reminds me of how lucky I am to have him as a best friend... Or am I? He's still my best friend, right? Seven years of no communication can't kill eight years of friendship. I'm going to find that guy, swear. And when I do. Well... Uh... I'd hug him?

No, get real, Katie. I'll kick him in the ass!

Oh, I’ll definitely kick his ass. That's for not saying goodbye when he bloody left me.

A/N: EDITED YAY