Forty One: Back and Forth

Start from the beginning

Cass began to scurry towards a metal door, with you hot on her heels. Just as it was about to slam shut behind her, you broke into a sprint and jammed your shoe into the crack. It hurt like a bitch, yet the door stayed open even as Cass rushed back across what looked like a bedroom to try and tug it closed. Only inches away from you now, you could smell her - blood and cigarette smoke. Since when was Cass a smoker?

Cass stared at you through the doorway with wide eyes, ceasing her attempt to pull the door shut and crush your poor screaming foot. Then, she finally spoke again in barely a whisper. "Yes, okay, I'm with Tim. In love with him, even. It's... complicated."

Well, that was a revelation. But you weren't asking if she was dating Masky, you were asking if he fucking hit her. She'd misunderstood... or had she? Your heart sank with pity as your eyes flicked from one of hers, to the other.

Love? Stockholm syndrome, more like. You couldn't believe it, body filling with disgust and rage for the masked fucker. He was manipulating her, taking advantage of her Sickness. Making her think she was in love with him, though no healthy adult falls in love that fast, and certainly not level-headed Cass. All while he fucking abused her. Not to mention, you were fairly certain he'd done the exact same thing to Lily. You were almost certain they'd been fucking.

You wanted to make her see reason, but she was clearly out of her mind, even further gone than you were. You had to be tactful. "The last time I saw you, in your apartment, I thought for sure he was going to kill you."

"Yeah, and then I got sick." She didn't even make eye contact, staring off into space like the world's most forlorn zombie.

You sighed. "Lily was sick, Cass." And Masky fucking killed her. "Do you know what happened to her?" Or, at least, you assumed he did. Either that, or she was somewhere in these walls. You doubted it, but you shuddered to think of the crazy bitch.

Cass swallowed, still not meeting your gaze. "I don't know. I think she's dead."

No kidding. Surely Cass could put two and two together, see that whatever Masky did to Lily, he'd probably do to her as well - not to mention poor Jade, her best fucking friend. Your entire college friend group had fallen victim to his wrath, for fucks sake!

"Do you know why you're here, (y/n)?" You blinked as she finally made eye contact, pupils searing into yours.

You shook your head warily. "No. Do you?"

"I'm here because Tim wants me to be. Because he lives here, so he can do his job." And use you like a toy. "More than you could say for Brian."

You frowned at her. What did Brian's living situation have to do with this?

You spoke cautiously, "Brian just doesn't want me to get killed, I guess." That probably wasn't the reason why Brian lived away from this hellhole, but you were trying to make a point. Brian wanted to protect you. Unlike Masky, whom you didn't doubt would rip Cass' throat out the second she pissed him off too bad.

"No, Brian doesn't live here because he's a coward." What? "I'm in no danger here, and you wouldn't be, either, (y/n)."

Yes, you fucking would be. She'd been so brainwashed, it was distressing. Your voice broke as you cried out, "You're delusional!"

"No. I can't be touched." Her face fell back to an expression of disdain, a dull certainty.

You shook you head at her. "Why not?"

"It has full control of its proxies." Was that what they called themselves? Brian never gave himself a label.

Cass continued before you could ask, "That's what the buzzing is, everyone here feels it. Nobody's allowed to kill me unless it wants them to. And it wants me alive, you know?" There was a shaky conviction behind her words, voice wavering. "I think I'm... special. Tim says so, anyway."