"You scheduled a gig for Halloween. I can't go. What's to mistake?" I demanded, narrowing my eyes as I slumped a little. It didn't look like he was going to punch me. Adam lifted a regal brow, folding his arms slowly over his chest.

"Yes. I just told you guys to see if it was avaliable. If not, I'll inform them we can't come. How could we go to a gig without our keyboardist?" He asked. I blinked, standing up straight to study his expression.

"The guys are gonna be pretty bummed." I said slowly. Adam nodded.

"I know, but we're a quad, not a trio."

"So... You're gonna cancel?"

"Yeah, we can always get a gig somewhere else." Even though he said it, I didn't believe him. Getting a gig for a small town band like ours was nearly impossible. It's why it took us so long to get out of town and in a place as big as Jackson. The Silver Stone population barely reached over two hundred people while Jackson was three or four times as much. They'd reach a wider audience and people would go home and talk about us, spreading our fame to bars and cafes everywhere.

And I was ruining our chances, I thought miserably. And it's not like Seth, Kipp, and Adam sucked on their own. They'd do just fine without me.

"No," I said at last, my voice quiet as I averted my eyes, reaching up to brush the hair out of my face, "Don't cancel it... Just, go on without me and call me in between breaks and let me know how things are going." It was Adam's turn to frown now.

"We can't play without you." He deadpanned. I rolled my eyes, glancing at him as my hair fell back into place over my face, which I promptly blew away.

"Sure you can. Lots of bands don't have keyboardists, King. Even the Beatles didn't have a keyboardist." I pointed out, shrugging.

"No," Adam agreed, "But three of the members could play the keyboard, so your argument is invalid." I scoffed at that, but remained silent otherwise. Adam and I stared at each other for a while before I couldn't take it anymore and looked away, my heart clenching.

Why him?

Why did I have to like Adam of all people? It'd be easier to like Kipp or Seth, but then again, neither of them were gay and they would've told us by now if they were. And I knew Adam couldn't be either, he never mentioned it.

So I was alone on this. And it didn't help that he was a human. My parents never once mentioned falling in love with a human, just that I marry someone with high status and power from our world.

In other words, a vampire.

Adam wasn't a vampire, though, sometimes his physical strength and speed made me question it. And the fact that he was gorgeous didn't help either. I felt filthy whenever fantasized about Adam because I knew he wouldn't approve of it. He would probably think I was disgusting for touching myself over him.

"Are you going to detention?" Adam asked me at last. I sighed and gave a solemn nod, reaching up once again to brush my hair away when Adam reached out and did it for me. I gave him a strange look and he returned it before stepping back.

"I'll walk you there. You can tell me more about your Samhain thing." He answered. I shrugged and led him out of the bathroom. I should've known this whole thing with him was just going to blow over quickly. Adam and I, whenever fought, it never lasted long. We both caved in before we could do anything major.

"It's nothing fun," I drawled as we walked down the hallway to the other side of the school where the ancient library was, "It's just a dumb family tradition."

"So... What? Are you guys Wiccan or something?"

"Pagan," I corrected, making Adam nod slowly, "But whatever. I'm not that into it like the rest of my family. Like Amber, she owns her own shop in Lansing."