Chapter 9: Wonderment

Start from the beginning

"She sounds like a lucky girl," she stuttered out in any sort of attempt to hide her sudden change in comfort.

God, he was watching her closely now, she knew he felt the change in emotion and in an attempt to change subjects completely, she began rubbing her bare forearms.

"Here." Joohyuk gestured as he began removing his suit jacket and now placing it securely on her shoulders so she could wrap herself up in his warmth and scent.

Suzy hadn't realised how cold she was until the material hit her bare skins and she felt herself pulling his onto her arms tighter.

"Gomawo."

Again in silence, Suzy's mind wavered to the ring. The ring that held a game, a game of which had not been refreshed all day she noted.

Not wanting to break her own promises, she turned as they walked so she was now walking backward, looking at him as she did so.

Quietly and deliberately, she reached for his spare dangling arm, tugging him by the hand until his huge hands rested in her smaller palms.

Her fingers now traced over his smallest fingers and both their eyes moved up until they met in the dimmed lights of the street.

"Where has all the fun gone?" Suzy asked sweetly, tilting her head a little as she watched his reaction; her fingers still brushing over his.

Joohyuk almost felt himself cringe at her words. How ironic. A game that had once seemed the best and most exhilarating idea in the world only now seemed bland and irrelevant. Especially when she was now willingly standing in front of him, sharing his time. The game partially forgotten in his eyes, or at least it had been.

"Play with me, Joohyuk-ah." She was almost begging.

Their eyes were both locked on the image of their hands intertwined.

"How could I possibly say no?" He argued with a flirty quirk of the eyebrow.

He wanted her close to him. Holding her like this. The game was whatever it was. Did playing mean staying close to her in any sort of context it allowed or did it mean lying to themselves because they had never known any better?

His question was replaced by a cheeky smile on her part and by this point they had come to a standstill. Still facing him, he tugged their joined hands so he was able to stand closer to her.

The small street was almost empty. Only the flickering of the street lamps and the odd dog walker and loved up couple passing them as they stood in a frozen stance.

"So?..." she asked in a smooth and counted tone as she waited for his request.

As he leaned closer, dangerously; Suzy didn't move but stayed rigid, placid, even when his hand spread comfortably against her waist and back, holding her in place.

"Kiss me." Joohyuk tempted as his lips almost brushed hers.

He held the contemplation in her eyes as she waited a moment. Her hand slowly reached up to thread around the back of his neck; her fingers burying themselves through his soft tresses.

He swallowed hard but kept his cool exterior but she knew better. His hands now both on her waist tightened as did hers around his neck.

Her eyes were closing and so were his. He let her control the pace, allowing her to move into him.

The absent feel of her lips against his almost made him peel his eyes open to assess the situation but just then, they were there. On his cheek bone, his temple and finally the side of his mouth. Tauntingly close that he almost grunted when she retracted her touch and stood away from him, out of his embrace.

The sad smile that she masked with a quirk of the lips made him hate it. Quietly he nodded but couldn't say much more. Suzy was walking away from him now and Joohyuk knew just then that she was running away from the truth faster than he ever could.

Until now, he had never met someone quite to give as much mixed signals, if not more than himself.

He was following her slowly now and she felt it. She also felt deep pangs of regret, sorrow. She couldn't admit it to herself, not just yet, but as she walked away from him, she couldn't place the feeling of longing and the self-restraint it took her to not kiss him completely and utterly until they were both satisfied with the request.

Left flustered and reserved, it only just occurred to Joohyuk that Suzy hadn't taken the ring. Left on his finger, just like she had left him.

He had only fooled himself with his faulty request. And she certainly hadn't fooled him.

She was a minefield. They would be leaving for home tomorrow and if only he could keep her here, he would; in this city of beauty and love, close to him, away from the prying eyes of the media and the general public.

Awkward. Like the comfort of each others company had been totally washed away with just a few pecks of the cheek, they now left their evening as it was; cold.