Chapter 5: Uncover

On the way home against Suzy's better judgement she had dipped into a 24-hour convenience store and picked up a copy of Nam Joohyuk's magazine cover. After all, if she was playing a dangerous game with Joohyuk she should probably learn some of his past. Or maybe she was just dead curious about him.

After freshening up and changing into her pyjamas, she flipped through the magazine under her covers with a flashlight, like she used to do when she was twelve and read a glossy magazine without her dad's permission to find out all about boys. Except this time she was finding out about one very specific man and she couldn't shake the feeling she was doing something invasive.

She deliberately skipped past his photo spread and started studying the word heavy article. It started by repeating basically what Gayeon had texted her earlier, he was an intelligent who excelled at whatever he put his mind to.

~•~•~•~•~•~
Earlier:

G: Eodiya?

S: Wae?

G: Are you still with NJH?

S: Nugu? 😏

G: Ya! Remember Ji-hyeon who cursed everyone after not making it to the debut team during our training?

S: Ji-hyeon? JH? Oh is she a Nam?

G:  Pabo! NJH - Nam Joo-hyuk. Ji-hyeon - the girl you spilled iced coffee after you caught her flirting with your NJH. Get it now?

S: Ohhh. My NJH? There's no us.

G: Jugule? Ji-hyeonie asked me about you two! She's now working in a  fashion and lifestyle magazine, said she interviewed NJH last month and she couldn't believe you two are dating! She knew we're bffs so she called me for confirmation. Eottoke?!

S: First, calm down and send me her number. I need to apologize for the spilled coffee.

G: Okay. Then what? You'll admit to her you two are dating? Good thing she's no Dispatch. But Yaaaa! Tell me first!

S: Second, calm down we're not together.

G: Molla, molla. Once you're ready, I'm just here.

S: Kim Gayeon! Jinjja. NJH 🙅

G: You know what, he's such a good catch. Judging from his recent interview, he's a smart guy who excelled at whatever he put his mind to and he's sweet to his eomma which is adorbs. He works like a cow and has a good personality too, he actually mirrors you. I won't be surprised in no time he'll win your heart. If it's not the case yet...

S: Ya! Not gonna happen.

G: YA! HE IS RIPPED. 😋ㅎㅎㅎ

S: BYUNTAE. ㅋㅋㅋ

Just a few seconds after agreeing to Joohyuk's Paris trip offer, Suzy got an unexpected text.

Buzzzz Buzzzz

Grabbing her phone from her clutch, Suzy's eyes shot a look of panic as she read the message.

Suzy-ah! Remember me?  ☕ It's Ji-hyeon. I'm in front of your apartment building. Got your number from Gayeonie. Do you have a minute?

"Why is she in my house? What does she want?" Suzy deeply thought.

Joohyuk noticed with a frown just before she tried to cover it with a smile.

"Wae? What's wrong?" He begged, almost reaching out to her hand but reframing at the last second.

"I have to go. Thanks for today." Suzy gathered her things quickly before shuffling elegantly but quickly out of their private booth.