Love Of A Family

Morgana had actually left Mordred when they’d entered the forest. She turned to him and hugged him tightly. “Thank you for helping me out, Mordred. It’s been lovely seeing you again, but, I think I just need some time to...think about everything.”

    Mordred smiled at her and nodded. “It’s ok. I’ll be around if you need me later. Goodbye for now, Morgana.”

    She watched Mordred leave with mixed emotions, but then again, she had mixed emotions right now anyway.

    “Merlin was Emrys. Arthur knew nothing of his magic. But he had magic- and he hadn’t helped.” She thought angrily. “He knew what I was going through and did nothing! Then he tried to poison me!”

    But gradually, as she thought about it, Morgana began to realise something. She’s always assumed Merlin was so loyal to Arthur because he was his servant. She’d thought it was strange, but now she understood more.

    Merlin had been protecting Arthur from danger- eventually from her.

    “Because he used his magic.” She mused aloud. She still didn’t now why he’d lied to her about her own powers. Gaius had done it to protect her, probably.

    More memories came to her of that confusing time- Merlin telling her to go to the Druids, helping her get back to Camelot, (even though she hadn’t wanted to go back) and how he’d talked to her afterward.

    She’d had...hope...that things could be better. At the time anyway. Uther hadn’t stopped persecuting people with magic.

    But she kept thinking of Merlin. Firstly, she was still astounded that he actually had magic and was supposed to her doom. That was scary. But then...he hadn’t hurt anyone really. Poisoning her, well, she knew Merlin hadn’t wanted to do it. He’d told her that himself. Even though was no excuse because he’d tried to kill her without telling her why!

    “Now what do I do?” Morgana sighed to herself. She’d been expecting Emrys to be the old man she was so afraid of and he was really...Merlin. Yes, that meant he was really powerful, maybe more so than her, but they could work through this. She didn’t want to kill Arthur anymore, or Gwen, or...any of them. Not anymore.

    Morgana suddenly realised that, despite everything, she still loved them. Somewhere, deep down inside her, she felt love for them.

    Maybe things would work out after all.

Morgana stopped her horse by the gates of the castle and looked up at it. She couldn’t see anyone around inside. Walking though the corridors, she suddenly saw Merlin. They both stopped and looked at each other warily.

    “My Lady.”

    “Emrys.”

    That was all it took for Merlin to move towards her. “Can you not call me that out loud?”

    Morgana gave a small laugh. “Why? Are you going to kill me if I do, Merlin?”

    “Of course not. You’ve changed, Morgana. I bet the Calliaech didn’t expect that when she told you I was your doom.”

    “No, she probably didn’t.” They smiled at each other, and stood awkwardly until Arthur came round the corner.

    “Merlin, I need you to clean out my stables.” He said, smiling at his sister. She smiled back, and disappeared the same time as Merlin did. It would take time for both of them, but Morgana could see the future looking bright for Camelot now.

There was a brief but fierce storm that night. Morgana was restless, but the storm had nothing to do with it. She suddenly jerked and awoke, pushing her hair back away from her face. Lightening lit up her chambers as her breathing slowed. She’d had that dream again, but it still wasn’t making much sense. There was no news of a battle in Camelot or anywhere in the Five Kingdoms right now. It was obvious that it would happen in the future though.

    At the next crash of thunder, Morgana lay back against her pillow and tried to sleep again.

Two weeks later, there was fresh news of Saxons nearby. Arthur had sent out patrols, but the men hadn’t returned. The King and the Knights were planning to go out themselves to where it was rumoured the Saxons were.

    “We should be a few days.” Arthur told the court. “We’re going to Camlann.”

    After people had left, Gwen took his hand. “You’ll all be careful, won’t you? Come back home to me, Arthur.”

    “Of course I will. Everything will be fine, Guinevere, I promise you. We’ll all be back in Camelot before you’ve even realised we’ve gone.”

Steel against steel.

Sounds of metal everywhere.

Screams in all directions.

Men falling, wounded, dying.

Mordred and Arthur walked through the battlefield. Mordred fell and lay dead. Arthur fell...

“NO!” Morgana screamed, sitting upright. She tried to control her shaking body, but couldn’t. Mordred was going to die. She didn’t know how or why he was there, but it didn’t matter anymore. Arthur was going to die as well. After everything he’d said to Gwen yesterday...

    Suddenly, Morgana realised why the dream hadn’t made sense before. That was the battle with the Saxons.

    That was what awaited Arthur and the Knights at Camlann...

............................................................................................................................

Sorry I took so long to write & upload this again. The last two parts are uo now though. :)