3:٣ | the dog star

Start from the beginning

"Well, as a matter of fact, yes" Bill admitted, shocking the Egyptian with her and all his siblings but one. "I used to go... often —with Charlie."

"What? And you were named Head Boy after it?" Percy couldn't believe it.

"I'll just return it" Malak said, "I am hardly a role model, I can't have it."

"No, you won't" Charlie, who had been quiet for most of the night, intervened. "Dumbledore gave it to you because you deserve it Malak. You've been taking care of yourself since you were what? 13? Most of us at that age still wrote to our moms for advise on how to tie our shoes. I, at least, think you deserve it."

The Weasley clan was silent for a moment. Nobody had thought about it that way. Not even Malak herself.

"Thank you, Charlie," she added in a lower voice, smiling genuinely to the dragon tamer, before the group started to chat once again about the trip, the upcoming adventures and the school year.

The visit to the Pyramids went great, with acting tour guide Malak Aboul Gheit explaining the sights and translating for them the Ancient hieroglyphs, to Percy's amusement. Until he was trapped inside a Pyramid by his twin brothers, that is.

Their interview with the Daily Prophet was very smooth as well. The reporter was hoping they will be able to make the front page, and promised to send a copy of the paper later that night, before the newspaper reached the general public. And he fulfilled that promise, only the Weasleys did not make the front page.

That night, they were all siting around the riad, where just a couple of weeks ago Malak sat with Charlie. This time, they were all enjoying the water in the moonlight, accompanied by the typical Egyptian tea. The owl of the Daily Prophet descended upon the group, to give Mr. Weasley the copy of the paper.

"Did we make it, dad?" An excited Ron Weasley questioned, "are we in the front page?"

"No," Mr. Weasley solemnly announced, "no, we are not. Sirius Black has scaped, Harry is in danger."

The mood around the pool changed all of a sudden. Sirius Black, famous mass murdered, was off the leash.

Malak couldn't help but to bring her eyes to the East. To Sirius, the brightest star of the sky —commonly known as the Dog Star, as her grandmother had taught her.

In ancient Egypt, the first sighting of Sirius in the East marked the beginning of the Nile Flooding, the beginning of a holiday, the beginning of a new circle of life. In Arab astrology, Sirius was also a key figure of the firmament, guiding travelers through the dunes of the dessert.

Fawzia Aboul Gheit had always talked fondly of that particular star. Sirius shone bright the day you were born she had told her granddaughter, and upon discovering the girl's animagus she had sentenced — that star will rule your destiny, Malak.