44 - Depart to the border

Start from the beginning

At the moment, people from the State of Xu is camping somewhere, waiting for Wu Zhang Wei's answer.

Zhang Wei pondering for awhile before saying, "Send someone to inquire what they want. Zhen is going to listen to it first before blindly agreeing."

The guard's lips tremble. He steals a glance at Zhang Wei with an unspeakable reaction.

"What else?! Spit it out!"

The guard flinches but immediately regains his composure, "They said they will only mention the terms and conditions in front of Your Majesty. They said they won't say anything towards a mere representative. So...Your Majesty's presence is needed at the border."

"What an excuse! They could send a representative to tell us all these then why we can't do the same thing? They clearly have hidden intention!" Fei Hong shouts.

Being suppressed by the Great General, added with the emperor's domineering aura, the guard feels like crying. He inwardly cursed the captain of his team for sending him to report to the emperor.

Both Jing Yi and Xiu Ying holding tight their partner's hand or arm, calming them down.

Zhang Wei releases a sigh. He waves his hand, motioning the guard to leave. The guard immediately kowtows and turns to leave as fast as he can. He unconsciously breathes a sigh of relief when he stepped out of the room.

Zhang Wei slumps onto the chair, kneads his temple.

His wife is pregnant but now he has to leave for the border. How he wishes this matter could be settled as soon as possible but from the looks of it, things could be dragged until weeks or even months.

Right now, Zhang Wei totally despised the State of Xu. Part of him wants to crush them completely but it will cost the lives of his people so he will find the safest method that will not cost his people's lives and also not to disturb the peace in their country.

Xiu Ying is lost for words. He doesn't know how to comfort his husband. He knows how important for Wu Zhang Wei, as the emperor to go to the border but deep in his heart he doesn't want to be apart from his husband, especially with his current condition.

But as an empress himself, he needs to care more for the people than prioritize his selfish needs. Xiu Ying sighs.

He puts his hand on Zhang Wei's shoulder and musters up his courage to say, "Your Majesty, go on. You need to hear them. I'll be fine. Lots of people taking care of me here, so worry not and...go."

Zhang Wei lifts his head and looks at Xiu Ying's face with a faint smile plastered on his lips. He releases a heavy and long sigh. He turns to Fei Hong and Jing Yi, pointing the door with his chin, asking them to leave him and Xiu Ying alone.

As soon as Fei Hong and Jing Yi left the room, Zhang Wei pulls Xiu Ying onto his lap. With a pair of arms circling Xiu Ying's waist tightly, he said, "But...I'm worried about you. I don't want to leave you here alone but I also can't bring you along. I-"

His words were stopped when he felt soft lips land on his forehead. He blinks his eyes repeatedly. Puzzled with the sudden peck.

"I told you I'll be fine. There are guards everywhere in the palace. Guo Wei and Chang Ming are always with me. Imperial Mother also always here, can take care of me. So, there's nothing to be worried about. Right now, you have to worry about how to handle the people from the State of Shu. Try as best as you can to avoid any bloodshed. We don't want innocent people involved due to some selfish people's greediness. The lives of millions of people depend on you. So, do your best to protect our people, our country so our baby can be born into a peaceful world."

[under editing]Transmigration : Wake Up as an Annoying ConcubineOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara