(94) TMotDS: Underwater Beginners!

Riddle had lost count of how many times he had brushed his teeth. He even did Trey's special brushing technique, but he could still taste the lingering taste of eel-slime. Scrunching his nose, he did a spit before using his mouthwash once again.

Though knowing that he had to go back to the sea again later felt like he shouldn't be harsh at his teeth if he needs to bite another eel.

Wiping his mouth with the towel, Riddle stepped out of his bathroom. Jonah was still in the same position as before. The towel was still over his head, sitting at the edge of his bed with a mug of tea in his hand. He was wearing Riddle's pajamas, which were just a bit too big for them. Even though Jonah said he didn't need to, Riddle insisted. He wouldn't allow his wearing that worn-out clothes again even it can be dry with quick magic. This was probably the only time that Riddle would allow someone to drink tea on the bed. That was against the Laws of the Queen of Heart.

"Aren't you going to drink that?" Riddle asked.

Jonah lifted his head and blinked slowly as if trying to process what Riddle just said. Riddle pointed at Jonah's mug and the boy looked down at his hands again.

"Oh. I'll wait until it cools down," Jonah said, lifting his mug to blow the hot liquid.

Riddle sighed. The boy had been going in and out since they arrived, probably still tired and shocked from earlier. "You haven't dried your hair yet," Riddle said again. Riddle walked toward him and climbed onto the bed. Before Jonah could question him, Riddle already on his knees behind him. "Wait. Stay still." Riddle had his hands on the towel on Jonah's hair, squeezing his wet red hair, and ran the towel down until the end of his hair repeatedly.

"Ow!" Jonah winched.

Riddle immediately froze. "D-Did I pull too hard?"

"Don't worry about it." Jonah glanced back, smiling a bit for reassurance. Riddle nodded at him and continued to dry Jonah's hair. The smaller boy sighed. "We need to think of the next step," he muttered. "We need to make that mermaid potion as soon as possible though."

"I'll handle the potion-making," Riddle said. "We can make a big batch just in case we need to dive multiple times." He put the towel around Jonah's shoulders, so his clothes wouldn't get too wet from his hair. "Though we should also think about how to make you able to see them even if your counter curse is active."

"That's the thing," Jonah sighed. "I have no doubt Senior Vanrouge has the skill, however my curse is an unfinished one, which causes the counter curse to be unstable and temporary. Since my condition of not being able to see the twins is part of the counter curse's unstableness, I don't think we can do anything." He inwardly winced at himself. Though he knew sooner and later he would do a name drop and let Azul knew about it. It was inevitable. It was only a matter of time before he thinks or speaks about his extended allies. He tried so hard to be ignorant, but this damn curse and this damn deal-!

"That what are you going to do?" Riddle's question brought him back to reality. "You can't just go and fight them like a blind man."

Jonah bit his lip, staring at his reflection on his lukewarm drink. "I'll be honest," he sighed. "I don't know."

Riddle didn't like the tone of that. He didn't like that defeated and helpless tone in his voice. "Jonah?"

Jonah clutched his mug tighter. He hated being confused. He hated unable to do anything. He hated being so goddamn useless-

There was a knock from the door and both boys looked ahead to Trey peeking into the room. "Hey."

"Trey?" Riddle called back.