xxviii. we need space

possible trigger warnings: slight mature language in this chapter and this chapter only

- george's pov -

after i nearly slammed the car door shut beside me, i quickly diverted my eyes to my left side. in my passenger seat, i looked over to see a fuming girlfriend with her fists clenched. before i stuck my car key into the ignition, i reached over and threw both my arms around my emotional girl. angel was shaking within my embrace. i did not know if her shuddering movement was due to anger, stress, or a mixture of both, but i knew that she needed me right now. as i rubbed her back, i heard her let out a cough before choking. out of shock, i quickly pulled away from our hug and looked into her eyes to see if she was okay. in an instant, angel swiftly cupped her palms over her eyes and face; then began to sob.

"l- love? love, are you alright?" i blurted as i beholded the sight of a crying girlfriend.

once i gently lifted her arms away from her face, i saw angel's eyes already flooded as a tear trickled down her cheek. "what the hell was that? who were they?" my girlfriend stifled as her nose grew red to her bawling.

"i- i d- don't know who they are, love. i had no idea they were going to act that way or say that stuff," i elaborated in a hushed tone.

"wha- what the hell?" angel bleated as she swiped her runny nose with her t-shirt sleeve.

"love..." i began softly before angel cut me off.

"i- is that all i am to you?" my girlfriend sniffled between choked sobs.

"what? what do you mean?" i quizzed with my eyebrows furrowed. i felt pressure arise in my throat as i took shallow breaths of panic.

"i don't know! you tell me!" angel yelped before sighing heavily, letting her head drop and her hair to cover her face.

"love, it's okay. i just wanted to know what you mean," i replied in a mere whisper. i tried to smooth my voice in order to keep her calm, even though i wanted to shout out of anger with her. i raised my hand and cupped the side of her cheek, softly wiping away any remaining tears of hers with my thumb.

"am- am i, a what, a clout chaser? do they really think i use you for your money or fame or something?" angel agonized as more tears rolled down her face.

"are you crazy? of course not, my love," i sympathized as moved my hand from angel's cheek to the back of her head.

"w- why are p- people so mean like that?" angel theorized as she hitched her breath. "i- is this what will always happen? is t- this how i'll be t- treated by others when i'm with y- you?" my girlfriend bewailed as a frown grew on her face.

i felt my heart crack into small pieces to the sound of her. from her suffocated sobs to the tears trickling down her face, i did not know what to say. as i stared into her sad, red eyes, i inhaled sharply. true realization hit me as i acknowledged that i did not have an answer for her. it was true, i did not know if this rude incident would be a normal occurrence. i had no idea if fans being so ill-mannered toward angel was the new norm. i have never had a girlfriend alongside me in the spotlight before. i had no idea what to say.