CHAPTER 5 - Dark stranger

Start from the beginning

After making sure she's passed out, Shivay stroked her hair, "Oh Annika, Why do you think I bought them in the first place?"

****

Annika's

The bell goes off for the sixth time when I finally give in and get up. My head feels too heavy and my feet surprisingly warm. Stripped socks run to my ankles.

But I never wear socks to sleep.

Rudra must have bought them from London. Stupid boy, what was the need to buy socks I wouldn't wear. I'd scold him later for wasting his money.

Right now, I've got a meeting to attend, and it's already nine!

As I pull myself up, I feel a headrush. An album of pictures and voices travels in my mind. All jumbled. But they've appeared so many times. I can make out their blurry figures.

Dad

Rudy

Omkara

Gauri

Even Mumma.

For the first time, my nightmares have turned into a daydream.

With a peculiar addition this time. A neat suited shadow. But his face is so black, I can't see anything. He's drinking a cup of coffee, not mocha but something stronger, I can't feel it going through my nostrils-

Sudha's knocks wake me up. She keeps the pineapple juice on the table.

"Long night ha?" She teases, seeing me settled in bed. But why? I often sleep late.

"Haan Sudha didi. That book-" then it hit me.

Shivay. He was here. The book.

It all comes back.

"Sudha?"

"Hmm."

"That guy- Shivay- he-"

"Ya ya I know, he left. At six itself. I had to sweep. Poor him, slept on your chair."

"What? He was here? Till 6 in the morning?"

"Yes, right here. You were holding his hand so tight? I almost hurt you before you let go."

"Oh my god."

*****

The office was quiet. The sixth floor especially. After Annika stepped out of the elevator, she searched for someone to brief her about today's meetings. But she knew her assistant was out and she was going to fire the new one.

Clad in a maroon skirt, she went straight to her cabin on the extreme left. On her way, she found only half the staff working. Already frustrated with herself, she twitched, staring at the empty desks.

Annika paced to the record room and pulled out every employee's file.

She wasn't going to let this go.

"Tanmay, Delnaz, Raj, Jennifer. ." She listed all the absent ones down.

"Say goodbye to your monthly bonus," she thought.

In all these names, there were many newly appointed trainee files too. She noticed that even Shivay wasn't at work.

She was going to fire him anyway, yet she inquisitively searched for his file.

But it was nowhere. She picked her phone up, dialing peehu.

"Ma'am, I'm out at-"

"This will take a minute Peehu!"

"Oh-okay ma'am," she dimmed.

"Where is Shivay's file? I'm in the record room and I can't find it anywhere Peehu! I need it right now!"

"Uh-"

"Speak now!"

"Ma'am actually-"

"Speak damn it!" Annika lost the little patience she had remaining.

"It-It was Omkara Sir."

Annika was more confused. What does Omkara have to do with this?

"What?"

"He- he said, he knows Shivay and so there was no need to create a paper trail. No files needed. He said you've approved it. That's all that matters."

The words were like sky fell rocks. Annika slammed her phone on the table.

Why did Om lie to her? She thought they were best of friends. Then this? Especially using her name when he knew she hated liars.

She went back to her cabin, calmed herself down. She knew anger won't make her think.

Exhaling, she dialed Peehu again, "Ma'am, I am so sorry-"

"It's okay," Annika said, cold, "I should be sorry. But the thing is, with you gone I can't function a day Peehu. You do deserve a holiday so I hope you can forgive your ruthless boss?"

"Ma'am, please. Don't apologize, you have complete authority to do so. After all, you're the boss."

Annika laughs, "Okay before you go back to Varun--just one last thing. That day- that card- that slipped out of Shivay's pocket. What was it?"

"Oh, That card. It was a company debit card."

"Which company?"

"The Malhotras- ma'am."

Shivay's surname was Malhotra after all. Then why was Peehu unwilling to give it back?

"Oh, but why'd you not want to give it back?"

"Because ma'am- the Malhotra's are on top of our list of competitors," she murmured.

Om trusted the wrong guy. Now Annika had to handle the damage. It all sat right in Annika's head now.

Shivay Malhotra is a spy.

★ ☽ ★

Words: 1186

New chapter alert! Word limit crossed, I'm going to stop caring about about the 1k thi

So much office drama is going to follow this one. My my. After that, I have some ideas - that I can't tell you about rn- but going to write it down soon.

Vote! Comment if you feel like and keep being khidkitod!