Ch. 26 Harry Winston

Serena only knew it was morning because a nasal voice over the room's speaker told her it was time to wake up. She was still lying in bed when the lock clicked and Selene walked in. Her arms were full of clothing. "Get up, sleepyhead."

   Serena sat up rubbing her eyes. "I didn't sleep much last night."

  "Well, you'll have to nap later, because right now we have a lot of fun to get to."

   She laid the pile of clothes at the foot of Serena's bed. "Fortunately we wear the same size in everything so you can borrow my things for now."

   Serena looked down at her smock. "You mean I don't have to wear this thing?"

   Selene stared at her. "You're kidding me, right?"

   Serena shrugged. "I don't know."

  "Wow, you've got this place all wrong. This isn't a prison. That's just an examination smock. We all wore them on our first day when they were establishing baselines. But that was yesterday. Today's your lucky day. Dr. Cyrus said to take you shopping for a new wardrobe. And guess where?"

   Serena shrugged.

  "The Miracle Mile."

  "Huh?"

  "Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills. Heard of it? If you're anything like me—and you are—you are going to have the time of your life."

  "I don't have any money," Serena said. 

   Selene laughed. "You don't need money here. Now get dressed."

   Serena looked through the clothes Selene had brought. None of them looked as if even been worn. "Wow. These are some expensive brands." She picked up a pair of jeans.

  "You can keep whatever you like; Selene held up a blouse. "I love this one, it looks great with my . . . our complexion. Do you like it?"

  "Yeah."

  "Try it on."

   Ignoring the video cameras, Serena slipped off the smock and put on the blouse.

"You look ridiculously beautiful," Selene said. "You're the most beautiful girl in this place." She laughed. "Oh, that's kind of like complimenting myself, isn't it?"

   Serena grinned. "Yeah, it is."

—————

   After Serena was dressed, the two girls walked outside the cell to an elevator. Selene put her finger on a fingerprint sensor pad. The screen turned green and the elevator door slid open.

  "We'll stop by the cafeteria and get some breakfast on the way out," Selene said. She pushed the button for floor one, and they ascended two levels to the main floor. "This way to the cafeteria," she said.

   The cafeteria looked less like a school cafeteria than a restaurant in a fancy hotel. They were met at the door by the restaurant's maître d', a short, Italian man with silver hair and a black tuxedo. "Good morning, ladies. You both look bellissima."

  "Yes we do," Selene said. "Thank you for noticing."

  "Thank you," Serena said.

  "What will it be today? Crab Benedict and banana-and-candied-walnut oatmeal are today's chef specials."

  "I just want a banana smoothie," Selene said. "We're in a hurry."