Oh, but if God could work wonders to give their child Jack's kind eyes, she would never miss a Sunday sermon.

"I mean it, though," Jack muttered, only for Claire. "There will be no bloody lung fever on my watch."

The music finished and the dancers applauded the musicians once again before they began to prepare for the next dance. Cecily was still engrossed in conversation with Mrs Denham, and Claire watched as Susanna slyly moved to the edge of the dance floor waiting to be asked to dance again.

Claire saw it happen before anything could be done. Her eyes had unwittingly connected with Arthur's, and he was once again looking upon her with a vengeful expression. But then he smiled. Wickedly.

He stood up tall and put on his most debonair grin as he strutted up to Susanna, greeting her with a bow as he bestowed a kiss upon her gloved hand. Susanna, who, despite being two years Claire's senior, was still remarkably sheltered, flushed in her cheeks as she accepted Arthur's attentions.

"Jack," hissed Claire. "You need to stop it!"

Jack followed Claire's line of sight and his face filled with rage. But it was too late. To intervene now would cause a scene and would only embarrass Susanna.

God, Arthur wouldn't dare. Would he? Would he really go after Susanna to spite Claire? Or would he do so, trick Susanna as he had done Claire, to secure Susanna's money? That, after all, was what Claire had lacked.

Susanna deserved so much better. As did Claire. Claire knew that she deserved better, and she hoped that she could deserve Jack.

Jack and Claire were not the only ones to have noticed Susanna's new partner.

"You have not introduced Susanna to Arthur Slickson, have you, Adam?" Grace asked curiously, a tense stare directed at her sister-in-law. Grace had always maintained a fervent dislike of Arthur, and Claire now realised that her sister had always been right.

"No," replied Adam. "And I doubt Mother would have, either. She would not have Susanna acquainted with anyone here."

"I am not one to insist upon separate classes as it would be utterly hypocritical of me, but a man, whether or not he is a gentleman, cannot approach someone of Susanna's rank without a formal introduction!" Grace murmured angrily. "Least of all someone as vain and as intolerable as Mr Slickson."

"I am not very familiar with the man. Is he as bad as that?" Adam asked curiously.

"Worse," growled Jack involuntarily.

Adam glanced at his brother. "Are you acquainted with him, Jack?"

"Well enough," muttered Jack. "When this dance is over, you need to go and get Susanna. She ought to keep as far enough away from that man as humanly possible."

Adam frowned, but nonetheless agreed.

Claire said nothing but was upset at the fact that Arthur had once again done something to spoil their evening. What did he honestly hope to achieve? Nothing could be done, even if Claire wanted something to happen. She was married, and that was that. He could never have her.

As soon as the dance finish, Adam politely brought Susanna back over to their party. She was aglow, her face flushed from dancing so many dances.

Jack startled Susanna by seizing her arm. "What did he say to you?" he demanded to know.

"Who, Mr Slickson?" Susanna gasped, frowning deeply. "Nothing! He introduced himself and asked me to dance, that is all! I was not engaged."

"You are never to speak to that man again!" Jack ordered under his breath, a furious intensity to his tone. "Promise me!" Adam, Grace and Claire had huddled around them so as not to draw attention to the would-be quarrel.