3. Friends

I didn't know what this feeling was, but I liked it. My whole body longed to go over to her. My body wanted to imprint on her...but for some reason, it didn't. I realized that I wouldn't imprint on someone because of my messed up genes. Thanks a lot, Grandma Bella and Grandpa Edward. But even if I couldn't imprint, I needed to talk to her.

As I glided over to the beautiful human, I felt the eyes of my family on my back. You see, Dad, this is why I can't be in a school where my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and parents are enrolled! So...talking to the human, huh, Edward thought. Outside he wasn't smirking but inside, he was smirking like it was there was no tomorrow.

No, I thought, defending myself. I'm going to talk to...to...to...WILLOW! Edward winced at the volume of my thoughts.

You do realize that it hurts when you scream in your thoughts, right? Or...DO I NEED TO DO THE SAME SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND MY PAIN, Edward thought. It was my turn to wince.

Okay, okay, I get it, I thought, grumbling. As I was thinking about everything, I didn't realize that I was already next to Willow and the beautiful mystery girl. "Nathan," Willow said, smiling. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be getting your information for class?" she wondered.

Okay, Nathan. All you have to do is try to be smooth. Normally, you aren't that smooth but try to be smooth...okay, I told myself.

Smooth, Edward thought.

Go away, I growled. Edward just chuckled then led Bella into the school, flirting with each other. "Willow, did you forget that I'm new here, or did your scent block your brain activity?" I hissed. Willow laughed and smacked my arm. I heard a small chuckle come out of the stunningly beautiful girl. I smiled, I made her laugh...SCORE! Willow touched her heart and tried to balance herself.

The elegant girl placed her hand on Willow's shoulder, concerned. "Here, I have to go to the nurse...I'll bring you over to the registry. Thank goodness the nurse's office is by the registry, right?" Willow smirked. She turned to her friend and said, "bye. See you in English?"

"Yeah," the beauteous girl replied. She nodded at me and my heart started to soar. If Willow wasn't there, I don't think I would be able to leave her alone under a tree where a branch could easily fall on her. Oh. Great. Now I'm being as paranoid as Grandpa. Thanks a lot.

No problem, Edward grinned.

I held in my scoff and thought, Didn't I tell you to go away?

Yes, but you know how stubborn I am, Edward laughed. I rolled my eyes and followed Willow to the registry. When we were hearing range away -- and thought range -- Willow elbowed me in my side. I groaned painfully and placed my left hand on my side.

"What the heck was that?!" I growled. I would have said H E double hockey sticks but Renseeme and Jacob insisted that we shouldn't follow in their footsteps with language.

"You have a crush on, Esther!" Willow frowned.

"And that's a bad thing?" I said. Willow nodded. "Why?" I hissed.

"Because Esther doesn't know our secret and I intend to keep it that way," Willow glowered. I rolled my eyes.

"I know the rules for our existence. But it's only a small crush. It's not like I'm going to be her husband in the next two years," I bickered, still wincing as we rounded the corner. Willow sighed and placed her hand on mine.

"Nathan...you're falling for her...and I'm telling you to stop. Stop those feelings at once...you'll only lead yourself to heartbreak," she advised. I looked at the floor...avoiding Willow's eyes. What if she was right? What if I do end up hurting myself the way Edward hurt himself? What if she hurts me? What if I hurt her? I'm still unpredictable. I'm a monster and she's...well...she's an angel. I'm a beast. She's a beauty.

"You don't know if she's perfect," Willow frowned.

"If she wasn't you wouldn't be friends with her," I snapped. Willow nodded and looked at the floor.

"Go get your schedule...see at lunch," Willow whispered. I didn't acknowledge her, I just turned around and went to the registry. I took my schedule and went to my first class...Biology. Why do I feel like this is the matchmaker class? But Willow is right. After all, I'm the beast and Esther's the beauty.