The Final Curtain

The Musings of a 48yr old Man on a Dark and Restless Night

         Truly, how sad it is; how depressing it is, when it begins to dawn on us that we are slowly but surely going the way of all flesh; to the grave. That is, when our life started out so fresh and full of life, youth, vigor and hope. We were strong and happy as we walked through life with our family and friends: sharing and caring, building up and tearing down, basking together in the warmth and light of the "grace of life". Oh! How challenging, how exciting, how pleasant were those wonderful years.

    Yet, how swiftly they have come and gone. Now the children, all 4 of them, who were once such a vital part of our lives are gone. One by one, they have each just walked out of the busy little noisy home. And many other such things have walked out as well: our responsibilities, our jobs, our youth, our purpose, our independence. And fears have set in upon us. Especially in those still, dark nights, as you lay in bed and imagine the worst. Once a strong guide and a pillar of the little home, now a relic of the past.

    And you somehow sense a loneliness that cannot be described, a lonliness you have never felt before. Oh the little wife is still by your side as always, loving as ever, but you sense that she too is only temporary. As you watch her age day by day, and you also aging with her; it's as if you're both waving goodbye to each other daily, a little at a time, day by day, you're dying.  Slipping away from things and from one another. And you're overwhelmed with that thought. You wish things were back like they were: with challenges and children and the everyday burden of responsibilities, but it's no use to dream. Those days are gone. Oh, the utter sadness that overwhelms our souls at time, pining for the days of our youth.

    Yes, one of the hardest lessons of life is to learn that all the things that we hold so close to our hearts and lives are only temporary; precious gifts from God, but only to be enjoyed for a short season.

    We get so caught up in the enjoying of those things, that we forget they were only loans from God and we sort of took it for granted they were ours forever. Until one day, we felt some unseen force prying them away from us. What is this unseen force that steals away our loves, our relationships, our comforts, our securities, yes our very lives. Is it God, or the Devil, or what?

    Ah, foolish old man, don't you know? God told you about it all along! Life is only a vapor, he said. We spend our years as a tale that is told, he said. And just as the characters play out at the end of a book, so so these things we treasure the most. Yes old man, you knew about this all along. You even preached it to others, but now it has come to you, and little by little, the curtain is falling.

    Little by little. The lights are dimming. Until you find yourself out on a dimly lit stage in  big old vacant auditorium, echoing these sad thruths unheard by any.  What are you doing to do now? The time has come for you to cut the lights out and also leave the stage. But you don't want to leave... do you? You're longing and pining for the show to go on. You want the actors back, the lights back on, and the audience back in. But no, old man, this is not to be. The drama is over. You've played a good part. Then end has come. Yes it's sad, it's overwhelmingly depressing, but it's life.

    Ah, young men and women, cherish those days of your youth, the railings of your family, the hustles and bustles of your life: for these are the best days of your life. Enjoy them to the fullest and care not for tomorrow. Enjoy today! And let tomorrow take care of itself.

    And oh, sad soul of tomorrow, take heart. Somehow fake heart. Somewhere out there is a brighter day, weeping man endure for the night but not cometh in the morning. Believe it! Believe it! Believe it!