Chapter Ten

Do you still sing the songs that we wrote together?
Until the neighbours complain?
Do you still wear your favourite dress with that wine stain?
I want to know how you are
And if you still wonder about me
After all these days, I still go by that bar
Were you there, too? Had I simply missed finding you?

It was, perhaps, the most peaceful and important moment they'd ever had together, despite the white oak stake being among them both.

Klaus exhaled deeply, watching the coldest breaths of air whirl away with the wind as he hesitated to speak his fear before his brother. "What if there's nothing after this." He'd probably spoken the most fragile words of his life and for the first time the truth did not scare him. "No peace, no darkness."

Elijah handed his brother half of the stake with everything but hesitation. It was his way of surrendering. It was their way of surrendering to the many years of fighting for family. It would be enough now. "We face it together." He attempted to ease his brother's fears for the very last time in his life, as he knew, and he would not die to regret it. "As always." The noble man added as he faced the door to death.

They stood facing each other with the white oak stake between them. It rested in Klaus' hands as if it were the cure to all their fears, their misery, but also the warmest blanket of acceptance, and love, and pride for all they'd achieved. It was easily seen in their eyes as they looked at one another, and in that time, they knew this was right. This was deed, this moment, was going to be their greatest peace.

Once again, Klaus did not hide from his truth. "I don't deserve the love you've given me, brother, but I am so grateful."

The hybrid placed his hand on Elijah's shoulder in attempt to, perhaps, ease his fears, too. "It's been a glorious ride, Niklaus." He responded to his truth by giving him truth. "And my greatest honour."

There. The whole truth and nothing but the truth was placed before them.

With both stakes pointed at their hearts, they both knew this was right. They'd known all along, and it happened with the best kind of assurance, faith, and love for one another. It proved their humanity. It proved everything they once stood for. The sacred bond of family. And love.

And as their bodies crumbled, neither of them died with regret.

They died with their hopes, their stories, their love, and their promise of always and forever. Along with them, that promise faded into the air of nothingness, but it was the most beautiful thing nonetheless.

In his death, Niklaus Mikaelson would forever relive his wish that never came. And as he knew Violet was simply his own soul pleasing him with the wish of the best kind of love, along with his worst kind of fears, he would never want it to end.

Violet was his fantasy, all he'd ever wanted, and his dying wish.