Value

Are we truly Filipinos? How can we confidently claim our identity as one? What is the true essence of being a Filipino? What can we do to contribute to our beloved country? Must sacrifice be our only path? Thousands of soldiers have lost their lives on the battlefield, sacrificing themselves to maintain peace in our land. Can we do the same?

I folded the yellow pad I was reading, standing on the fourth floor of our building, observing my schoolmates as they made their way to their respective classrooms. Crossing my arms, I watched them, aware of their actions moments ago.

"Freya, here is a list of students who didn't follow your rules during the flag ceremony earlier. Their profiles are included as well."

I glanced at Faith, the secretary of the supreme student council, as she handed me a long transparent folder.

Taking it, I thanked her. "Thank you, Faith." I quickly scanned the contents of the folder. "Tell Brix to call these students immediately and instruct them to go to the gym as soon as possible."

"But," she hesitated, biting her lower lip, "they still have classes."

I sighed. "The principal has already given permission."

"O-okay."

I could see the doubt on her face, but she followed my instructions nonetheless.

As I walked, scanning the folder's contents, I could already envision the students' reactions when I would administer their punishment later. They might hate me or criticize me, but I didn't care. They needed to understand the consequences of their actions.

I couldn't comprehend why they would disobey the rules, knowing full well that there would be consequences. Did breaking the rules bring them joy? Did they find pleasure in facing punishments? I couldn't grasp the logic behind their actions. I had no admiration for those who broke the law. Perhaps they simply didn't care enough for our country. I clenched my fist. They were all foolish.

The hallway was oddly quiet. I peeked into each room and realized that nobody was there. I almost forgot that students and teachers avoided using rooms on this floor due to the rumors. There was a story that this school had been a battlefield between the Philippine Army and the New People's Army in the past, resulting in many deaths. People believed that the ghosts of those who perished lingered here. I shook my head. They were foolish to believe such gossip. While it was true that this school had been a battleground, the existence of ghosts was nothing but a fabrication. There were no such things as ghosts. People were only scaring themselves.

I stopped in my tracks when I reached the principal's office door. I knocked three times before she allowed me in. As I pushed the door open, a wave of cold air greeted me.

Closing the door behind me, I surveyed the office as I always did. The room was always tidy and clean, with bookshelves lining each side. Near the principal's table, there was a sofa for visitors.

"What can I do for you, Ms. Bari?"

My eyes settled on the woman standing near the glass window. She wore a gentle smile on her face as she looked at me.

Walking towards her, I locked eyes with her. "I need permission to excuse these students, ma'am." I handed her the folder. I had told Faith that I already had permission, but it was a lie. I had only said that to ensure her compliance.

She studied me carefully after glancing at the folder. "May I know why?"

I crossed my arms. "They disobeyed my rules. I simply asked them to respect the Philippine flag and our national anthem. I don't want them talking while the flag ceremony is ongoing. They should show respect when someone is speaking, from the prayer to the singing of the school hymn. Is that too difficult to follow? They're already high school students. They should know right from wrong."