Chapter Twenty Three: Forget It All

Začať od začiatku

You were at a loss for words, the only thing you could do was glare into Dabi's gaze.

"He probably doesn't want to see you," Dabi spoke lowly, "So quit trying to find him."

You looked up at him, a realisation hitting your head.

The thought tore yourself into pieces, one by one.

Maybe it was true.

"I think he just doesn't want me to see him." You said, your shouts transforming into quiet voice.

You told this more to yourself than Dabi, but you'd never know how much your words had drilled into him right then and there.

"Why do you care about him so much? You have other things to worry about, Y/n." His shoulders stiffened. "Why can't you just let it go?" Dabi asked, now with even less emotion than ever thought possible by you.

The tip of your wings spiked up in annoyance, frustration- everything Dabi was making you feel right now.

"Spit it out." He demanded.

You hesitated, but knowing Dabi, he'd know in a heartbeat if you were lying to
him, and given his state, the consequences would be unpleasant.

You didn't even want to think about it.

You took a long inhale, which followed with an even longer exhale.

"You want an answer?"

Dabi looked right at you, never breaking eye contact.

"It's because I loved him," Your eyes glazed over, "And I still do."

***

Dabi's expression dropped.

His mouth opened, but nothing came out.

In all honesty, he'd expected something like, 'Because friends do anything for each other,' or some other cheesy, cliche reasoning behind your attachment.

He knew and he remembered every single moment he shared with you, even from before- the beginning.

He wanted you to let go of the past- his past- but you were just too determined, too headstrong like the girl he once knew.

It gave him a sense of home, a sense of distorted nostalgia that you were still you.

Any obstacle life gave him, any shitty thing trying to stop him, he knew he'd find you still.

And he did.

The universe always seemed to bring him back with you, like some sort of unseen gravitational force.

You were no different from years ago, yet a changed person all together.

For himself, well.

He couldn't say much.

He was barely recognisable, and he knew that he'd never be that boy again, and that he could never be that person for you, too.

He just wanted you to forget it all, but it's hard to move on from something you still have yet to uncover.

He knew this pretty well himself, having delved deep in his family issues then and now.

A billion things had shot through Dabi's head as you said those words.

"I loved him," you had admitted.

I love her too, Dabi knew and had told himself.

"And I still do," you had added.

She still loves Touya.

Dabi looked back into your watery eyes, his face going back to neutral and uncaring.

But Touya's long gone.