04. Golden Eyes

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

jolly sailor bold
chapter four , golden eyes

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

        "WHERE IS HE?"

        "WHERE IS HE?"

Mira's jaw clenched and unclenched as her golden eyes landed upon the sight below them; looking over the square where the slavetraders had assembled. Her nostrils flared as she attempted to stomach the anger she felt at the sound of their jeering and cackling.

"They haven't brought him out yet." Tirian grumbled, from where he crouched beside the blonde bandit.

The crook had been stationed on the rooftop since long before dawn, and clearly the long hours that had past him since had caused his mood to foul considerably.

Zardeenah and Mira had agreed to meet him at eleven bells by which time the auction would have been in full swing — however, they had been delayed somewhat in their attempt to secure the sale of Vengeance. The buyer was unwillingly to provide them with the ten thousand gold pieces they'd asked of him, but after a very convincing sales pitch — and maybe a dagger to the throat — he'd come around and agreed to the price.

Their plan had accelerated somewhat when walking by the harbour, the two women — in the company of Aravis and Corin — had witnessed a major task force living the Narnian ship they planned on infiltrating. The party's activity remained a mystery however Zardeenah quickly theorised that such a quantity of sailors must be abandoning the ship in the event of a rescue mission.

Mira decided to take the ex-convict's word for it. If the ship had been effectively abandoned, time would be of the essence. The captain instructed the mother and the son to quickly board the galleon with as many of their few possessions as they could, while evading detection, and the remaining bandits would join them aboard before it set sail.