Almost Time

I woke up in the middle of the night, rubbing my stomach with a sigh as the babies shifted and kicked. I slid out of bed, waddling down the hall and down the stairs and to the kitchen. The worst part about being nine months pregnant was that the babies were always pressing against me, waking me up every hour or so in the middle of the night. I poured myself a glass of water, taking a sip and letting out a sigh.

I frowned, shifting, rubbing my back and looking at the clock. Only around four in the morning. My back was aching, stomach cramping, and all I wanted was to be fast asleep in my boyfriend's soothing arms. The babies kicked at my stomach and I winced, letting out a hiss of pain and massaging my belly, trying to get them to calm down. 

"Y/N? What's wrong?" Gene asked in a sleepy voice, leaning against the doorway of the kitchen. 

"Oh, nothing. Just got woken up by our babies," I said with a sigh, patting my stomach. 

He nodded, walking over and wrapping his arms around me, rubbing my baby bump. "Sorry love. It'll be over soon though, don't worry. Come back to bed though. You need sleep," he murmured, still half asleep himself. 

Smiling, I set down my glass of water, kissing him on the cheek. "I will in a moment dear, you go ahead to sleep, I just need to check something," I said. 

Nodding, he returned my kiss and shuffled off. I flipped open my laptop, googling a few things before feeling a smile spread across my face. I walked into our room, lying next to him. "Gene I'm going to tell you something and I need you to promise me you won't panic," I said.

"Mhm I promise," he mumbled, not bothering to open his eyes.

"I'm in the earliest stages of labor," I said happily.

He bolted upright despite me telling him not to panic, staring at me with wide eyes. "You're in labor?! Oh damn Y/N we need to go to the hospital then!" he cried. 

Giggling, I grabbed his shoulder, lying him back down. "Shh I told you not to panic! I'm in early labor. There's three stages, I'm in the first one. When I'm in active labor, then we'll go to the hospital. So for now we'll just go back to sleep, okay?" I said.

He nodded, wrapping his arms around me, spooning me from behind. "Alright. But this means we'll be having our babies soon?" he asked, voice full of excitement.

"Soon enough! Within the next few days. Early labor can last for awhile." 

Gene let out a sigh, kissing the back of my neck. "Well let me know when you go into active labor and we'll go to the hospital." 

Heart skipping, I nodded, feeling my cramps get worse as mild contractions started, but they weren't even close to being bad enough to go to the hospital. "I will, don't worry. Is everything ready for the babies?" I asked. 

To my relief, he nodded, giving me a squeeze. "Everything's ready and it's all going to be fine. Now shh, you need sleep. Especially if you're going to be giving birth soon. You'll need all your strength for that." 

I closed my eyes, finally able to drop off to sleep in his arms, soothed by his embrace. I woke up a few hours later as my babies kicked me in the sides again. "Hmm hey love are you awake?" I asked. 

"Mhm what's wrong?" he asked, before bolting up again. "Is it time yet?!" he cried. 

Giggling, I grabbed his shirt, yanking him back to the mattress. "No! I told you silly, I'll tell you! I was just going to ask you if maybe you'd be willing to make me breakfast?" I asked nervously. 

"Oh Y/N of course! I'd love to dear, anything you want just tell me and I'll make it." "Maybe pancakes?" I asked. "Pancakes sound really good." He kissed me, sitting up and sliding out of bed. "I will very happily make you pancakes. Are you hungry? Well wait of course you are. How hungry are you, I guess?" 

"Absolutely starving," I said, shifting with a groan and massaging my stomach. "Well then I'll go take care of that," he said, kissing me again and walking downstairs. I wrapped my arms around my stomach, feeling the mild contractions get a little bit stronger, and I smiled. It wasn't quite time yet, but it was almost time!