Jerseys (Matsuhana)

"Makki," Oikawa said, looking at his friend cautiously. Hanamaki wondered why the entire team was staring at him and trying to hide snickers. "This is an official match."

"I know that," Hanamaki blinked. "It's our first game of the Inter High."

Oikawa sighs, and gestures to his jersey. "Makki, you can't be wearing that."

Hanamaki was wearing the normal jersey- he hadn't accidentally put the alternate outfit on or anything, so he had no idea why Oikawa had a problem with it. Mattsun came out of the change rooms, and Iwaizumi lost it, dissolving into laughter. The excited crowd quietened, obviously wondering why one of the wing spikers on Aoba Johsai was on his knees, laughing.

Hanamaki turned to Mattsun, wondering why the hell everyone was acting weird, and froze.

"Hang on, I'm number nine," He blurted out, and Mattsun looked down to see that he did indeed have the number nine printed on his jersey.

"We're different sizes," Mattsun mumbled as they headed back to the change rooms. "How did we accidentally switch jerseys?"

"No idea," Makki said, pulling the jersey over his head and handing it back to Mattsun.

They dashed back outside and the crowd murmured about not knowing what happened, and Oikawa laughed at them.

"Did you put your jerseys on too quickly after you two-"

"Finish that sentence, I dare you," Iwaizumi butted in.

Oikawa shrank back, and Mattsun eyed Hanamaki, snickering quietly. Neither of them knew what had happened, but it was pretty funny.

Even if they got a weird look from everybody else.

Years later, they still occasionally switched jerseys. Nobody batted an eye when they changed anymore, even the first years, though no one remembered who was which number.

Hanamaki yawned as he pulled the jersey- number two- off. He was sweaty and hot from the practice and he really needed to just go home and shower.

It was almost the Spring Tournament- so desperate to beat Shiratorizawa and go to Nationals, all of the third years had stayed on the Seijoh team.

There was no way Hanamaki would accept failing to get to Nationals for the sixth and final time in a row.

"Makki, you've frozen in place and you've stood there for the last five minutes," Oikawa called. "Make sure to lock up, 'kay?"

Hanamaki jolted back into reality, and shoved his normal clothes on. Usually, he'd prefer showering in the change rooms, but if he'd really stood there for five minutes, it was probably better to shower at home. He'd end up sitting under the water for twenty years.

He'd thought he was alone, but Mattsun came out of the showers, soaking wet and looking extremely mad.

"Why is the water cold on the one day that I shower here?" he demanded, shivering as he dried himself with a towel and pulled his clothes on. "The one day. ONE. DAY."

Relieved that he'd decided to shower at home, Hanamaki shrugged.

"The water's cold on the one day that I don't shower here," He said. "It's your problem."

"You suck," Mattsun scowled. "Anyway, were you waiting for me, or were you just standing here?"

"Both," Makki said, and they started to walk home. Mattsun's house was extremely close to the school and on the way to Hanamaki's house, conveniently, so they walked the short distance to Mattsun's house.

"Want to come inside?" Mattsun offered, and Makki shook his head.

"I need to go home and shower," He said. "And I have homework due tomorrow. Mum's going to kill me, I swear to god-"

"Just shower here," Mattsun shrugged. "And I have the same presentation as you, so you can do it here, and I can copy off you then pretend that I helped."

"Fine," Hanamaki said, and went inside.

After his shower, he came into Mattsun's room to see him playing a game on his phone.

"Mmm," Hanamaki said. "Can I play?"

He ended up staying for dinner, and he still hadn't done his homework.

"You're going to be number three for the Spring Tournament," Mattsun said as they started to eat. "I'll wash it and give your jersey to you tomorrow."

Mattsun had both of their official uniforms, though technically the coach was meant to have them.

"Yeah, thanks," Makki said.

Hanamaki had been waiting for five minutes outside Mattsun's house, hoping that he wouldn't cause them to be late to school. After he'd gone home last night, he'd had to stay up to finish his homework, and he'd done okay. He didn't have to worry about being murdered by his mother.

Mattsun finally came out of the house, and handed him his jersey, perfectly folded up- which was unlike him. He was never this... neat.

Hanamaki shrugged the feeling off, and put the jersey in his bag, as they started walking to school. Early morning practice got boring sometimes, but Iwaizumi would get mad if they didn't show up.

Mattsun seemed to change extra quickly that morning, disappearing into the gym to warm up before anyone else had, apart from Oikawa, who'd turned up early as usual.

Why he was avoiding Makki, he had no idea, but the thought of Mattsun ignoring him was strangely uncomfortable.

He looked at his jersey, still pretty much perfectly folded, and wondered why Mattsun had folded it so perfectly. He unfolded it and held it up, staring at it- the jersey was perfectly normal.

Shrugging, Hanamaki folded the jersey back up, his folding a lot messier than Mattsun's, and shoved it back in his bag.

He was ready to leave when Yahaba nudged him, pointing at the floor.

"When you were taking out your jersey, you dropped that," He said, pointing at a piece of paper on the floor- Makki picked it up, and nodded his thanks to the second year boy.

He wondered what was on it, and whether Mattsun had meant to slip a piece of paper into the jersey. He unfolded the piece of paper.

Go out with me?

 If this reminds you of fanfics that you've read before, it's because this one was inspired by several fanfics that I've read before, rather than a writing prompt.