"Really?" I asked again, hoping foolishly for a different response. "I didn't know she was your type. I mean, you two are so different."

"They say opposites attract, right?"

"Yeah, but... see, you're very... on track, if you know what I mean. You've got your own shit together and you're surprisingly good at keeping other people's shits together as well. You're like the ideal high schooler, with good grades and sporting merits." I continued to reason, spitting out words as if one of them was going to hit him in the head and change his mind.

"But Shiro... she's a hardcore gamer who, funnily enough, doesn't give a damn about her own life. She's the girl who would sacrifice an entire semester's worth of sleep and fail every subject to maintain her 1.25 KD." An unconscious smile began to form on my face, as I unintentionally rambled on. "She's the girl who laughs at my borderline suicidal jokes and even contributes to them from time to time. But ironically, she would do anything to keep herself and her teammates from dying in any game."

"That's exactly why I think we'd be good together." Akaashi intervened, his opinions not at all swayed. "Shiro needs someone to hold her life together, keep her from self destructing. She needs someone to check up on her, bring her food, make sure she gets enough sleep and be her support system." He then turned towards me with a smile. "And... I think I'm not a bad candidate for the job."

"But..." This time, I cut myself off. He did have a point. I sighed and swallowed the words I didn't have the courage to say.

"I mean, if I can manage to keep Bokuto in check, Shiro shouldn't be too hard," he casually remarked. "By the way, you seem to know her really well. Mind helping me out?"

"Help? What do you mean?"

"What else?" The taller boy laughed. "Kenma, would you please be my wing man."

What, now?

"Uh... I don't know..." I mumbled, turning away to avoid his eyes. But this was one question I knew I couldn't skip. "What does a wingman do anyway?"

"Honestly, I'm not too sure. Just give me some tips?"

"Like you'd need any." Seeing a small window of opportunity, I tried to dodge the question, but to no avail.

"Surely you can give me some tips," he prodded. "You two talk a lot. There's bound to be things that you know but I don't."

Things I'd rather not share.

"Come on, don't be a dog."

"I'm a cat." I replied bluntly. Wait... I blinked twice, taking in what I had just said. Just this afternoon, Shiro had called me a cat and now I was beginning to identify myself as one. What is this sorcery?

"Yeah, whatever. But please... help me?"

I sighed. "Fine."

What else could I have said?

~~~~

"Hey, Fire, can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah, of course," Shiro replied. "But is it something serious, though? You know people don't usually have to ask before asking a question... because that's like the whole point."