0 6 Friends

"Jevelene Stacephelce, is that how you pronounce it?" The head of the orphanage asked. Jevelene and Ariel were now at an orphanage in China, right where Aleksei left them.

The orphanage head knew that Jevelene and Ariel were demigods, after all, they weren't the first of their kind she had met. But Jevelene was the first female demigod she met.
"Yes miss,"
"Call me madam Jinian,"
"Yes Madam," Jevelene and Ariel said together.

She smiled at Ariel, "So, what is your sila, Ariel?"
"Atomic manipulation,"
"Wonderful! You must have taken years to master it,"
"Not really, it's not hard to control,"
"We will be teaching you chemistry with magic in that case," She smiled and then glared at Jevelene.

"And what is your sila?" She asked.
"I don't have one yet, madam,"

"As I thought," She smirked and Ariel looked at her, "Women cannot be worthy demigods,"
"But we have a lady gatekeeper so I thought–"
"Huh! Nonsense, she must have slept her way through the parades, I refuse to believe it!" She turned back.

"They kill all female demigods when they are born because they only bring badluck. Heaven knows why your father didn't kill you!" With these bitter, she left.

Jevelene ran behind her, "Madam,"
"What?"
"You forgot to tell me what subject I need to study," She smiled.
"Oh? You want to study?"
"Oh, I'd love to,"

"Well," She looked at the ceiling above her, "You see those cobwebs at the corners,"
Jevelene looked up, "Yes?"
"I want them clean by tomorrow,"
She left.

Jevelene looked at her feet and Ariel looked at her worn out back. He walked towards her but suddenly a boy came between them, "So, you're Ariel? You're new here, right? Nice to meet you! Do you speak Chinese?"

"What?" Ariel didn't know Chinese. He pushed him aside and walked towards Jevelene but she was gone.
"He knows English, right?"
"Wow, your skin is so white!"
The rest of the boys from the orphanage engaged him into a one sided conversation and took him to his class.

Ariel made friends easily. Everyone there seemed to be of his age, everyone, everyone was welcoming.

"Alright, let's start with today's class," The teacher said, "Today, we will learn about the Magixiya of elite stars. Everyone open your books, page 58. Look at this diagram,"

Ariel rested his face on his palms and looked into his notebook. As the breeze flipped the pages of his notebook, he saw the gold water lily laying between the pages. He smiled as he looked at it.

He wondered where she went.

Meanwhile, Jevelene removed her red frock and wore a peach, cotton flared long gown reaching till her shins. She pulled out the rubbed band from her high ponytail and braided her hair into a thick, long snd red braid reaching till her waist. She picked up a bucket of water and walked towards the halls.

She dipped a mop into the water and began working as she sang softly.

Ariel closed his eyes and listened, "Jevelene is singing,"
Everyone looked at each other. The teacher stopped teaching, "Who is singing?"

Jevelene continued singing, "You!" Someone shouted and Jevelene turned back. It was Madam Jinian.
"Yes Madam?"
"Girl, can you stop singing? My head hurts. Work quietly! Stop disturbing the entire school!"

"Yes, I understand,"
"Good, and after this, clean the windows. I want them shining,"

She was given a small room at the attic of the orphanage while the boys shared rooms downstairs, lavishly decorated with carpets, fancy beds and furniture. As everyone else dined, Ariel sneaked out with a bottle of jam in his pocket.