7. How bad is it?

It had been a week since her talk with Phil. Since then, they hadn't spoken. Her father was always busy pleasing others, it was often that he would leave his kids to their own devices. But not even caring that his youngest son was being gaslighted? That was a new one.

Jay had spent the week preparing. She figured there would be war, a battle, something. So she prepped anything she could. Armor, weapons, potions, anything that would help. And it was time to go to Tommy's campsite and defend him from Dream. She began the long trek, leaving her things in her bag until she was out of eyesight of L'Manburg.

She pulled on the black glowing armor as she reached Logstedshire, a new set that Techno had given to her. She pulled out her freshly sharpened sword and held up the Dream Team shield, ready for anything. But as she approached, it looked nothing like it had.

"Tommy!" Jay shouted, running as she got closer. The whole area was blown up, with a hug pillar that hadn't been there before. "Tommy where are you!" She screamed, the words hurting her throat. It had freshly rained and everything was silent.

She found herself at his tent, finding his scorched belongings. Nothing was salvageable. Nothing in the whole place was salvageable.

Nothing seemed out of place around the pillar, including anything that would have given away that Tommy had died. No body, no blood, no belongings. He was somewhere. The question was where.

She heard a noise in the distance and went to investigate it. There was a bright light that had been lit ahead. She moved ever closer.

Jay noticed too late that it was a bomb. The rattling shook the ground as it exploded, firing dirt and more debris from Tommy's campsite into the air. She ducked behind a large tree, but not before she felt the burning sensation of gunpowder connecting with her skin. She peered around the tree and standing there, unaware of her presence, was Dream. He turned and walked away with a smile.

She waited, what seemed like hours but was only a few minutes, for him to leave. Once she was sure he was gone she moved around the tree, continuing her search for her brother with freshly burned hands and face.

Just as she was about to give up, she saw one small thing out of place. A footprint in the mud, in a direction away from Logstedshire and L'Manburg. She started off in the direction. It wasn't much, but it was something.

After walking for what seemed like an eternity, after rain had turned into snow, she found a trail of footsteps. Soon the footsteps stopped and turned into a trail. Tommy had either stopped picking up his feet or begun dragging himself along the ground. She was freezing, exhausted, and it was getting dark. But she kept going. She wasn't going to stop until she found her brother. She kept walking, screaming for her brother all the way, even when the harsh cold air burned her lungs.

Zombies and skeletons wandered towards her, and soon she was out of arrows and covered in bruises and cuts.

She was almost about to stop, turn around, come back in the morning when she heard it. The faint sound of breathing and groaning. She set off in a run towards it.

"Tommy?" She yelled, looking around frantically. She heard a cough from her right. There, covered in snow, propped up in a bank, was her little brother. He was covered in burns and gunpowder residue, the tips of his fingers blue.

"Oh my god." She whispered, running to him. "Tommy, come on." She said softly, pulling some fabric out of her bag and tugging it around any of his exposed skin. She cursed under her breath and glanced around.

Smoke. In the distance.

"Techno." She whispered, hauling her brother up. He leaned his whole weight on her as they stumbled towards the house.